Building a Home File Server

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Jan 18, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Building a Home File Server

Setting up a file server doesn't need to be complicated. With three desktop machines (Kubuntu, Win XP and a testbed, which is currently running ReactOS) and a laptop (Xubuntu) in use at home, our IT is reaching small office proportions, and like many small offices, we run into file sharing problems. Peer-to-peer networking is fine when all the machines are on, but inevitably it happens that the file I want is on a PC that isn't running. Even worse, it be on my testbed machine that is currently in pieces or undergoing yet another upgrade. So, we need an always-on server that any of us can access any time, but if it is always on, it needs to be quiet, reliable and cheap to run.

If you like do-it-yourself projects and are interested in the potential of running a Linux file server at home, find out how at the Linux Journal.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Thank goodness this isn't another article on Windows Home Server! Thumbs up, Trip! :thumbleft
    2. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      LOL. The thought briefly occurred to me as I was posting the news item. It just seemed like a good way for someone to build their hardware, operating system, and networking skills and build a home lab all at once. :wink:
    3. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Why? WHS is awesome, I know plenty of techies and non techies alike that use it
      granted the audience here are probably into more hardcore tech, and as such have different methods, that does not make the product bad or worth scorning (well apart from that oh so cool bug)
    4. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      You're just jealous because you wish your daddy would buy you one too. :biggrin

Interesting article.
    5. C4sper
      C4sper
      well I have 2 of those

why?

JUST BECAUSE I CAN :)
    6. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      I never said it was bad or worth scorning. I just don't see the demand for it. It might just be different in the US, but I don't know of anyone who has one or is considering buying one.
    7. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      That book WAS cute... I forwarded it on. :D