Black screens for pirate copies of Windows

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Black screens for pirate copies of Windows

Owners of non-genuine copies of Windows XP will get a black background instead of their wallpaper every hour, as well as a translucent watermark

In a bid to deter people from using pirate versions of Windows, Microsoft is now updating its Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) tool to introduce a few uncomfortable niggles for users of pirated versions of Windows.

On the WGA blog, Microsoft explains that if a copy of Windows fails the validation process ‘users will discover on their next logon that their desktop has changed to a plain black background from whatever was there previously.’ You’ll be able to change the background back to whatever you want, but it will revert to a black screen again after an hour. As well as this, copies of Windows deemed to not be genuine will also have a translucent watermark above the system tray, which Microsoft calls a ‘persistent desktop notification.’

Read the whole article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Mr.Cheeks
      Mr.Cheeks
      ...and Freddy isn't here! :blink
    2. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Not doubting you, but are you certain that they are legit OEM installs that nobody else has used? Unless you were the one who slapped the fresh OEM sticker on the box, how can anyone be absolutely certain that nobody else has used that key, ya know? :)

Why bother cracking it? Just so they can have a desktop? :biggrin I can see cracking it if it disabled functionality... but turning a desktop black is a weeeeeeak protection measure. :D
    3. Modey
      Modey
      Absolutely certain that nothing shady went on with the keys once they were in place in the peoples houses but I can't vouch for what happened from manufacture to retail. They were off the shelf brand new systems though ...
    4. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      They shoulda been fine, then. I've heard of scattered problems of things happening when activation servers were unavailable... but those stories are few and far between... hmm, not sure what mighta caused that.

In any case, those sort of false positives are why people are against locking pirates down. Still, isn't protection of intellectual property worth the small percentage of false positives? Nothing's perfect...