Best way to study for A+?

Discussion in 'A+' started by 1MillionBits, Jul 29, 2018.

1. 1MillionBits

1MillionBits New Member

There's a tonne of study material for A+ and all this information can get a bit confusing to someone new to IT certs! I want to focus on study guide + Exam Cram + Professor Messer for my preparation. But which order? The more info I dig up online the more A+ starts to look like an impossible mountain to get up.

How did YOU guys study for the exam?

2. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Do you have any working experience in IT or looking for a career change?

Do you prefer watching videos or reading a book to learn?

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    drum_dude likes this.
  4. 1MillionBits

1MillionBits New Member

@ nisseki: No IT experience as yet, looking for a new direction. I've always been pretty okay with computers but working professionally in computing is a lot different, I know. I like having a text book to constantly go back over, but lately I've been getting into Professor Messer's A+ videos. He explains it thoroughly but at the same time, in a very newbie-friendly way.

@ Sparky: Oh yeah, the one by Mike Meyers, I hear that's the one to get. I ordered this text book today along with 2 Cram Exam books. I used the Quentin Docter text for my IT Fundamentals that I just passed. TY for link btw. A lot of students are recommending the study guide + Professor Messer at a bare minimum, so I'm starting with that.

5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

6. 1MillionBits

1MillionBits New Member

Thanks a lot, that's way helpful! That's heaps. :)

7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. MBITTrain Mat

MBITTrain Mat Bit Poster

James Messer's video series are excellent. I admit that I am a writer and have written an A+ certification guide and in our book we referenced James' videos at the end of each section along with practice quiz questions. If you are looking for a book written by an industry expert - a trainer with years of experience but who explains the salient points in no-nonsense English, you might be interested.

Then, I would advise practice test material such as Measureup (there are others, but why not use the same company that are going to be testing you - Pearson VUE? The content is at the correct pitch and level).

Best of luck with it. If you have any specific technical questions I am happy to support on or off-camera.

Certifications: MCT, MCSA, MCDST, MCITP, Security+, Network+, A+, QTS, QTLS, BA(Hons), PGDip
    WIP: MCSA Office365, MCSA Server 2016, Microsoft Partner Cloud certification