Be aware of legal risks with open source, says Eversheds

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Be aware of legal risks with open source, says Eversheds

Understanding the risks and limitations of open source software and how to manage them is key for UK business, says a technology lawyer.

Simon Crossley, a partner at law firm Eversheds, said business needs to understand the implications of using open source software as well as the benefits.

Any business using open source software should manage it as carefully as proprietary software to reduce risk to the business.

Organisations should have a policy that ensures all use of open source software is recorded and that compliance with the relevant open source licence is checked.

Crossley said businesses should appoint an open source compliance officer or have a review group responsible for tracking obligations in terms of open source licences.

This approach ensures that any commercial software that is developed does not infringe the rights of any open source developers.

"Open source copyright can and will be enforced if all the conditions of the licence are not met," said Crossley.

Read the whole article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments