AVG update cripples some Windows XP systems

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Nov 11, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

AVG update cripples some Windows XP systems

On Tuesday an update for AVG 8 suggested that a Windows system file is a Trojan horse, and users who delete the file from the system could leave their Windows XP systems endlessly rebooting or unable to reboot at all. The problem only affects users of AVG 8 products running the Dutch, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish language versions of Windows XP. AVG immediately sent out a corrected update to its customers, including those using the free editions of AVG.

Since we have a multi-national forum, I thought you might want to read this article, published at news.cnet.com.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      somebody mentioned this at work, they said their kid did something on AVG and Windows froze, but as he couldn't tell me what happend I couldn't help. I'll see him tomorrow. Although this isn't supposed to be for the English version, I will check.
    2. Qs
      Qs
      And this, ladies and gents, is why you should use Avast! instead. :p

*runs*
    3. Obinna Osobalu
      Obinna Osobalu
      Love you for this...
    4. greenbrucelee
    5. Qs
      Qs
      *raised eyebrow*
    6. Big Brotha
      Big Brotha
      but there is a free version of AVG for home users, thats probably what makes it more popular than NOD32
    7. Qs
      Qs
      *ahem* You're forgetting the daddy of all anti-virus programs... free for home use too!

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
    8. Big Brotha
      Big Brotha
      Well if Avast is the Daddy then AVG is the mother!!
      The jury is still out on which is better although the majority seem to give AVG the "nod" :oops:
    9. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      free isn't always good.
    10. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      In AVG's defense, they consistently provide a product that protects my Windows computers almost flawlessly and, for home use, the product is free. No one performs perfectly all of the time, and I can forgive the occasional hiccup in their case.
    11. Theprof
      Theprof
      Thanks for the article Trip, I have friends that use AVG, the email with the link has been sent.
    12. westernkings
      westernkings
      Should be using Avir Antivirus to be honest, it roxxxxorz
    13. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      good but slow.:D