Apple 'visionary' Steve Jobs dies aged 56

Discussion in 'News' started by GiddyG, Oct 6, 2011.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Apple 'visionary' Steve Jobs dies aged 56

Former chief executive and co-founder of US technology giant Apple Steve Jobs has died, the company says. He was 56.

"Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve," Apple said.

Jobs announced he was suffering from pancreatic cancer in 2004.

Microsoft boss Bill Gates said Jobs' "profound impact" would " be felt for many generations to come".

Mr Gates added: "For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it's been an insanely great honour. I will miss Steve immensely."

US President Barack Obama also paid tribute: "Michelle and I are saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Jobs. Steve was among the greatest of American innovators - brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it.... The world has lost a visionary."

Full Story here

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Apexes
      Apexes
      Great guy who did great things, a shame.

He completely changed the way people see technlology for the better.
    2. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      I suppose it's been on the cards for a while, but it was still a shock when I heard it this morning...
    3. Boffy
      Boffy
      Yeah I guessed he was in a bad way when he handed in his resignation, I just didn't expect it so soon.

Good visionary, definitely changed my opinion of apple products when watching his keynotes.
    4. gosh1976
      gosh1976
      I know most of the posters here are familiar with the story of Xerox Parc, the early days of Micorsoft and Apple, and all the rest but some of the younger posters may not be. I highly recommend watching the documentary The Rise of Silicon Valley. It came out a couple years before the docudrama Pirates of Silicon Valley and is fascinating. I watched it again last night or most of it the end is hard to find online but most of it is on Youtube and other sites. If you are lacking in motivation I think it is great to watch! RIP Steve Jobs
      Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
    5. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      Or reading 'Accidental Empires'. :biggrin