Amazon Kindle Fire to enter tablet computer market

Discussion in 'News' started by GiddyG, Sep 28, 2011.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Amazon Kindle Fire to enter tablet computer market

Amazon has unveiled a colour tablet computer called the Kindle Fire.

The $199 (£130) device will run a modified version of Google's Android operating system.

Until now, the company has limited itself to making black and white e-readers, designed for consuming books and magazines.

As well as targeting Apple's iPad, Amazon is likely to have its sights on rival bookseller US Barnes & Noble, which already has a colour tablet.

Full Story here

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. dales
      dales
      I spotted that when my twitter feed went bananas today, as a DX owner my credit card seems to be getting a bit itchy :) I'll be looking at how this one turns out with great interest.
    2. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      I'm not sure about this, I've got a Kindle 3G plus a Windows 7 tablet already (waiting to upgrade that to Windows 8 ), so what advantage will this have over what I've got?... Besides, it'll be $199 in the US, so considering exchange rates (and so on) it'll be £199 + vat here...
      Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    3. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      Only the basic model of the new kindles is currently available to the UK though. Fire and the touch models are US only at the moment.
    4. dales
      dales
      thats where american relatives come into play :biggrin I dont have a tablet yet, I dont want an iPad and the good android tablets are too expensive and the cheap ones are well, too cheap. maybe the fire might be in my range. I'll wait around and see what actual joe public say about it before making any costly decisions as any purchase of that scale has to be worth the aggro from household management. :eek:
    5. Fergal1982
    6. Boffy
      Boffy
      Saw the conference yesterday, looks awesome but I just got my iPad 2 last month.

Might have to 'treat' the missus 8)