Your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 14, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I enquired about an IT hepdesk assistant job at my old university, its seems a pretty straight forward job.

The problem is it seems very simple in I will just be providing support for MS Office (namely word) applications and doing virus scans.

Here comes the major issue the pay scale is grade 2 which 14k odd - 16 odd however in the job description it says employees usually start at the lowest end of the scale however I just cannot afford that.

Do you think I should apply and try and get them to start me at a higher salary bear in mind this means me relocating and getting a flat.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

The pay sounds reasonable for an entry level job and as it is a unviersity it will be quite big and should have some opportunities to progress, I would apply all interviews are good experience even the bad ones :D

Certifications: A few.
  3. greenbrucelee

What do suggest I do about the pay as I cannot afford to move to a new city, get a flat and live on 14k, 16 I could manage.

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You can apply and make it clear that thats the case. Thats about all you can do, unless you want to whip out those force persuasion powers you've been keeping in reserve.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

That is a tough call because most entry level jobs will be below 16k (they were when I was looking) If you took a 14k job it would probably only be for a year do you think you could surive a year on 14k it would be tough I think.

You should explain to them you need 16k to live but if they gave it to you you would not expect another pay raise for quite some time, see how they take it, say you would like 16k but you will self study for your training so they will save money there.

Certifications: A few.
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What Fergal and Rob said.

Getting an entry-level IT job is difficult enough. Adding on salary restrictions will make it even more so.

Raises will come, but it will take time. Assess what you think you can handle for a short period of time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee

Cheers guys I will put on the application that I am prepared to take a pay drop as I have to fill in my current salary but I will also put the lowest amount I am prepared to take.

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree with Rob there, infact one of the guys who works here did the same thing and the boss agreed to start him at that wage under the assumption it will not be raised/reviewed until he has been here for 2 years.

What have you got to lose GBL give it a go!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

It's a hard thing to do.
    I took a pay cut of £5k when i started in IT but i need to to get an entry level job.
    That said i'm now back working in logistics as i was offered a really good deal to go & work for my old employer.
    And i now get to play a bit with the IT Systems!!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  10. greenbrucelee

does anyone have any idea of what a storage analyst does?

I was looking at job websites and a trainee storage analyst job was advertised, there wasn't much of a description apart from it said skills with Unix and some Windows skills is desirable.

I have an ok knowledge of Unix and Windows I think but I have no Idea what a storage analyst does.

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Does it mention SANs in the job description?

Didn’t know you were a Unix guy GBL :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. greenbrucelee

Yes it mention SANs

Unix was the first ever type of command line interface I ever used, I have still to this day used more unix commands than I have within windows. The system I use at work used to be entirley Unix based running on Sun Solaris but its now server 2003.

13. greenbrucelee

The trainee storage analyst job does seem a little more than what my experience level is, however I have also applied for a trainee 1st line support analyst job which covers Windows 2000,xp and win2k3 it has full training and the company want someone who they can train up certwise. It also has a very good wage 20k :blink I am not sure I'll get it but all they were asking for was commitment and a good knowledge of the above operating systems.

14. Sparky

Sounds good mate, to be honest if you are in any doubt over a job just send in your CV anyway. Any job you are unsure of you can find out more at the interview stage and get a much better idea about what the job actually involves. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  15. greenbrucelee

The 1st line job sounds really good especially because they want someone who they can train up and help train certwise, just hope I get a chance to show my stuff :p

16. Sparky

It does sound good, best of luck with it mate :thumbleft

17. greenbrucelee

cheers, sent off my CV and the application just gotta wait now.