Your responses to user request please...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by juice142, Jul 9, 2008.

1. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

This email has literally just dropped into my inbox...

Hi All

I have a problem with my lap top - it had an accident (with coffee) and now I've problems as the cursor keys have gone weird.

they either don't work or seem to be permanently pressed down.

Problem is is that is affecting me working in spreadsheets and outlook (2 things I use the most) Shall I take it too a local repair centre, or have we got a warranty with Dell?

look forward to hearing from you

Now, I knew Dell support was good these days but coffee spillage under warranty? :rolleyes:

Who does she think is going to pay for the 'local repair centre' to fix it (she's in a remote office a couple of hundred miles from us)? :eek:

And I'll bet that she moans because she'll have to send it to us and will be without it for a few days. :dry

I can guarantee that the one thing she shouldn't be looking forward to is hearing from us, but how would you respond to this id10cy?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Depends really how helpful you are feeling. I would be inclined to ask her to give it a punt with dell maybe leaving out the coffee bit! as they have sent keyboards out to some of my users the next day and its not too difficult to replace them in the modern dells, at least you dont have to take all the top plastics off like you used too.

If she didnt want to she could always bring it to your work and have it replaced (while you wait style) would be a nice quick tenner or so.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Id get her to buy an external keyboard (or her send a spare if i was feeling kind), as Dell wont replace this under the warranty.

Might make her more careful in future

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

We get returns like this all the time where I work.. what it really comes down to is how much kit the company is prepared to write off.. we've been lucky in some cases and have been able to get some spares from Dell and have retained parts from other broken laptops to replace them in cases like this.. then i's a case of getting the customer up and running as quickly as possible while highlighting details of the damage to the relevant party in the organisation..

Stupid it may have been but accidents happen..

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i once had a customer ask me if i could install his new dvd drive remotely :confused3

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Dell wont cover it thats for sure, buy a replacement keyboard and talk her through the install, is 3 screws, not to hard.

WIP: LIFE
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'd call Dell and try to get a replacement keyboard. Then tell the woman to send the laptop in to you for repair. She might moan about it but it might teach her to be a bit more careful, especially when you send a company email around warning about eating and drinking next to a pc/laptop.

If nothing else, as the others have suggested, get an external keyboard for her.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Dell does offer a "no matter what" warranty where they'll replace the machine even if you drop it, and I've seen them actually honour this for some of my dumber customers. It's pretty pricey for this option, though.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ahhh, the joy of users.

A customer phoned me a while back with the same problem and asked me if she put the laptop on a radiator overnight would that fix the problem. The keys were all playing up after the coffee disaster.

I laughed and said “you must be joking right?” She seemed to think I was in the wrong because the coffee would evaporate overnight!

<sigh> Ended up replacing the keyboard myself and charging extra for the BS she talked. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs