XP Wireless Internet "Excellent" Signal, Limited or no Connectivity

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Tinesife, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Tinesife

Tinesife New Member

This began a few days ago. The router is fine, no one else has any problems using it. I tried disabling my firewall, updating drivers (although I wasn't positive I was trying the right driver, since I don't understand the problem), I scanned my computer for viruses with a full computer Symantec scan and a Norton Power Eraser. I haven't scanned in a while so the first one came up with a few things but nothing that looked particularly malicious. I tried system restore, I tried troubleshooting and adjusting properties on the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility. When I ping it it usually replies well. I started the Wireless Zero Configuration and changed the Wireless Network Connection 3 Properties so Windows configures my wireless settings. Either way they pick up on several routers but don't connect. I have to use an ethernet connection. It says "acquiring network address" for a minute then fails to connect.

When I run ipconfig the window closes before I can copy it so I took screenshots.

This one is where I have the ethernet connected.
    View attachment a.bmp

Ethernet disconnected
    View attachment b.bmp

And ipconfig/all
    View attachment c.bmp

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Have you ever had a wireless connection to your wireless router?

The address in the screen shots is a APIPA address so there could be a number of factors that contribute to this.

Have you tried assigning a static address to the wireless connection?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Tinesife

Tinesife New Member

Yes, I usually have a wireless connection, but it's not always stable. I didn't understand the rest of your reply. I don't know what I'm doing. Static address? How/where do I assign an address? Should I be looking at the default gateway?

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Do you have any other wireless devices that connect to the router and work OK, another laptop or mobile phone. If they have the same issue that could point to the router.

5. Tinesife

Tinesife New Member

Other laptops and phones connect to it without any issues.

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

7. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Also, you need to open CMD then run ipconfig, otherwise as you say, then window will instantly close if you just run it from the start menu.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. arnold

arnold Bit Poster

Possibly update the drivers of the wireless network card on the laptop. I've had similar issues and this solved it for both of them.

Certifications: 6x MCP, MCDST, MCSA Server 2003, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: None
  9. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

Have you tried uninstalling, reinstalling the router software? My brother had this problem that was fixed by doing that.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  10. Tinesife

Tinesife New Member

Thanks steve, that would probably work, but I don't have a clue how to do that.

I know what the problem is now, so it's easier to help me.

When I select Obtain an IP address automatically, I get the wrong numbers.
    My questions are
    How do I make the Connection-specific DNS suffix what it is on the computers in my network that connect; Belkin?
    Or, When I'm putting in the IP addresses manually, what should I use for the DNS server addresses? One successfully connected computer says DNS Server 192.168.0.1 but it's Windows 7 so
    Where do you use ipconfig on Windows 7? Where is the Run thing?

11. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Type cmd in the search box of the start menu. Or press the Windows Key on your keyboard and R together. This will bring up the run dialog.

The DNS server for a home environment is typically the routers IP address, in your case 192.168.1.1 judging by the screenshots?

Who set up the original wireless devices that connect to the router?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  12. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

If you haven't done already reboot the router. This is usually my first port of call with connection issues with a home router.

MS removed the run box as a default which is really annoying but you can add it back in Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.

Add run command box back in Windows 7

You could try the following (IPv4) static settings as a test:

IP address: 192.168.1.200 (I have set the IP high (200) in the hope not to use an IP already in use via DHCP
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (this is your routers IP)
    Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1 (this is your routers IP)

Change TCP IP settings in Windows 7

Uninstalling the wireless card drivers via device manager and reboot the laptop. Let Windows find the device and reinstall the drivers. I found this has fixed the odd issue in the past. You may need to also download the latest drivers from the vendors website.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP