XP requires flash disk in port at boot time, before one can use keyboard, mouse

Discussion in 'Software' started by AlanW, May 30, 2005.

1. AlanW

AlanW New Member

The strangest thing has happened. After I removed a flash disk while XP was shutting down (without going through the safe-removal routine), XP boots up but the keyboard and mouse are frozen.

If I boot up with a flash-disk in a usb port - everything works fine. Ive tried giving the OS lots of time to puzzle out the problem, but it seems that only booting with the f-d in will do the trick.

I do not have system restore active, so cannot restore to an earlier state. However something must have been added to an ini file or the registry which needs to be deleted. Does anyone have any ideas where I should look.

Later I intend to see if a drive letter has been assigned to a non-existent drive in case XP is searching for the drive before if will release os control back to the user.

Any help much appreciated.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Can you try hitting F8 just after the BIOS finishes, and choosing Last Known Good config to see if that helps ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Interesting problem, Alan. Let us know if Gav's solution works or not. BTW, if you have a moment, pop up to the New Members Introduction forum and let us know a little bit about yourself. Thanks. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Jak, Last Known Good is great but it only works if you haven't logged in or for some reason can't log in. The Last Known Good registry values are over written as soon as the users logon is processed.

Have you tried stopping the USB flash device prior to shutting down?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Fair point Pete - it was a quickly-posted suggestion. You are quite correct. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. AlanW

AlanW New Member

I previously posted that my keyboard and mouse would remain unavailable unless I booted with a flash disk in the usb port. Since the onset of the problem co-incided with me removing the flash-disk as XP was shutting down, I assumed XP had registered or "installed" the device somehow and was looking for it on boot - hence the freeze on keyboard and mouse. I was probably wrong.

The good news is that I have got over the need to have a flash disk in the port at boot. But Im unsure how exactly I fixed the problem, though I have an inkling.

I checked event viewer and noticed an apparently completely unrelated problem with the IPSEC service with event id 7023. I disabled the service - after this I no longer needed the usb drive plugged in. I was pleased, but even more confused because I cannot understand why disabling this service would solve the previous problem - perhaps it is another co-incidence.

However, that is not the end of the strange story, I have two cd drives and one dvd drive, all of which were previously recognised by XP. Now it only recognises two of them. If I unplug one (currently recognised) it then recognises the other two - any combination. I've not changed anything on any of the optical drives.

Im continuing to find out whats happening here and will report back as soon as I come up with something.

Cheers, Alan