www.beginners.co.uk

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by gajlehab, Sep 4, 2005.

1. gajlehab

gajlehab New Member

Hello All,

I was just wondering if any of you have used this training website and could provide me with some feedback.

Regards

Gajlehab

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sorry, I've never heard of them.

What type of training is it that you are interested in, perhaps I can offer you some alternatives.

3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I looked at two categories. First was MCSE and the second was Linux. In the first category I looked at what they had for Exchange. They were using Exchange 5.5. This is a an old version of Exchange. I would imagine that there are few companies still using it, but it's old technology and nobody doing new installations of Exchange would ever use it. It's way too outdated and has too many problems. It certainly isn't covered under any current MCSE study tracks.

Under what they had listed as Linux topics there wasn't any of it that you can't find for free on the internet somewhere.

I think the site is a ripoff if the two categories I picked are any indication of what they have to offer overall. If you just wanted to learn some basics and weren't doing this as a way to get into IT then their free stuff might be worth reading, but if you're looking for current IT practices and current technologies, I wouldn't place much faith in them.

Why pay for learning outdated material or for material that you can find for free on the web?

I'll sometimes pay for a book that has the same info I can find on the web, but I do it because it's a lot less stress on my eyes to read off paper than off a computer monitor and so I can have a reference book in front of me while I'm doing something. But, that said, it still probably has more to do with the fact that I'm an old fart who just likes reading books. As much time as I spend online I'd still rather read from a book than from a computer monitor.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

agree with ffreeloader... for the 99 quid you could buy the books you need... Looks like a dodgy site wanting to make some quick bucks, if you needing specific material CF has threads for good material for each exam

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

As said!

6. gajlehab

gajlehab New Member

Hello Again,

Thanks for your help guys...

I'm hoping to take an A+, MCSE or CCNA - and am specifically looking for interactive learing materials - the tutor lead approach seems to cost an arm and two legs.

I also agree that reading block text off screen isn't a good way to learn - it does my head in for a start!

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  7. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

A+ is def a good place to start, have a look at the compTIA.org web site.

I usually reccomend the LearnKey materials, I've used them and they seem to be popular. WWW.learnkey.com however they can sometimes be a little on the expensive side for a single user:

http://www.learnkey.com/elearning/S...nd_220302_A_CompTIA_Certification/Course/534/

Around £330 - Like wise they do the MCSE 2003 (around £1.5k) and CCNA for around £800.

Alternativly the Mike Myers book for A+ is good and also includes test prep software - vital in my opinion. See here:

http://shop.osborne.com/cgi-bin/osborne/0072229918.html

around £33

or

http://shop.osborne.com/cgi-bin/osborne/0072229144.html

around £16