WSUS admin page

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Theprof, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello, I've seem to have come across another little obstacle and need your help ladies and gents. :rolleyes:

I've installed WSUS on one of my vm for practice before I go do the exam. Everything is going well so far except I cant seem to access the WSUS admin web page from the actual WSUS server.

Now the way I have the wsus server setup is over port 80 and the updates are being downloaded locally to the server on a different partition D: (I don't know if that helps). Right now it's in the processes of getting synchronized as I type this.

My issue is when I go ahead and type http://<servername>:80/wsusadmin I get a page cannot be found. If I just type http://<servername>:80 I get a page under construction. The browser that I am using is IE 7. All of this is done from the wsus server.

Thanks.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Have you restarted IIS since the install?

Try restarting the default website in IIS. Make sure both the IIS Admin and WWW service are set to start automatically as well

Failing that, I'd check IIS permissions.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Check and download this guide as its free and can help you figure out what is causing the problem. See below:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=71190

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Zeb thanks for the reply. I did what you mentioned and everything seems to be as it should. Both the IIS admin and WWW services are started and are set to automatic startup, I restarted them and still no avail. I then restart the default website and still no luck.

As for the permissions it seems to have sufficient permissions:

Any other ideas?:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Onoski, thanks for the link, I definitely downloaded the doc8)

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Prof - have you tried accessing it via the IP address of the WSUS server? If you can, I suspect a DNS problem.

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Even with an IP it doesn't seem to work. Is there any special configurations that I am supposed to make in order to be able to access the admin page? or should it work right after I install it?

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What port is the WSUS admin page running on? If you go into the WSUS website in IIS it will tell you in there. Also you may need to add the WSUS URL to your trusted sites in IE as it is running in high security mode.

One last thing, anything in the event logs? :biggrin

Edit: Where are all the WSUS components running? Are any of them in the default web site?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Ok, after checking, the port is 80, I added the url (IP address and website name) to the IE trusted zone in IE7.

Event logs don't show any problems. As for the components, they are quite a few that are running under the default web site.

If you would like I can post a screen shot.

This is frustrating, I did a bunch of reading up on it and looking around on the web and still no luck. I just hope that it's not something like IE7.:ohmy

Edit: btw when I try to access the WSUS admin page I get a Under construction warning. Thats it.

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Judging from the current problems it does come across as a permission or group policy issue. Make sure your server for wsus is http://servername: port, obviously without spaces in between servername and port number.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. Sparky

Ok, if you expand the default website is there a wsusadmin directory listed in there? Also is there any other websites running in IIS.

Edit: Its worth noting that when you access the wsus server with http:\\servername:80 it will go to the first website in IIS as I assume you are not running any host headers in the websites. This should be ok if the component you need is running in the first default website.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sparky,

I only have one website that is running in IIS which is the default web site running through port 80. When I do expand the default website there is no wsusadmin directory. Maybe that's the problem?:ohmy

However I do have the IIS admin service running. If thats any consolation.

13. Sparky

You should have a wsus app pool listed, looks like there may be an issue with the install. I take it you have domain admin rights on the server you are installing WSUS on?

14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Yes absolutely, its running in my VM lab. I'll be doing the exam soon so I just wanted to practice just before.

I do have wsuspool listed.

Here is a screen shot:

Attached Files:

• IIS.jpg
      IIS.jpg
      File size:
      44.5 KB
      Views:
  15. Sparky

16. Sparky

There doesnt seem to be a wsusadmin virtual directory listed in your default website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920659

17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sparky,

I checked for the integrated windows authentication and it is checked off. However I am having a problem checking to see if WSUS windows services is running along with MSDE database. How would I do that?

18. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sparky I just came across something interesting. Apparently in WSUS 3 which is what I am running, there is no webadmin page, I would have to install a WSUS 2 to be able to see that or I would have to install an MMC snap in for WSUS3 on my pc to be able to do something similar to the webadmin page.

Here is the link: http://www.wsus.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=10802

19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Well whaddaya know?

That'll teach me not to keep up with things! I've never used or installed WSUS 3, so it came as a bit of a shock to me when I discovered thyis myself from Googling. Looks like the management of WSUS is now entirely done via an MMC snap-in - there's no such thing as the WSUS Admin page any more. The web service still exists, but its not something you can interact with any more and there is no 'page' that allows you to view/configure your WSUS set-up. Ho hum!

Sadly enough, I'm now upgrading my own WSUS VM to v3 just so I can see how to manage it for myself - cheers for that prof, I was hoping to give myself a night off on xmas day!

20. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You know I did this practice because I was told that at work I will begin to manage WSUS starting after the holidays and because I have 290 exam coming up soon. I guess we are using WSUS 2 and I thought we were using WSUS 3. Good thing I found this out now and not then or else I would not look good in front of the boss.

Zeb and Sparky I really appreciate your help on this one. I learned quite a bit from this "little" exercise.:biggrin