Would you change OS to Windows 7?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by IT2009, Nov 18, 2009.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Give him that. I noticed copying files was terrible, it would take 30 seconds at times just to delete a shortcut on my desktop. It would sit there trying to work out a how long it would take, time that could of been better spent DELETING THE THING. Granted that was fixed with the SPs though.

I never once had a problem with any programs on Vista. Even my dodgy eyetoy/webcam mixup worked right off the bat. It no longer works in Windows 7 though.

Never experienced that.

I just turned it off as soon as I would install, don't forget it is still in Windows 7, exactly the ****ing same. I disable it. It was a bit slower to respond in Vista though if I remember rightly. You would wait 5 mins with a programme installation doing nothing at like 13% thinking it had crashed. Only for the UAC Box to spring up finally.

Had them on XP, Vista, and still get them on my Windows 7 Work PC. Not on my Home one though.

That was an issue that was fixed with the SPs. It was slow though compared to XP.

Still the same in Windows 7.

Windows Vista was not as bad as people make out, people assume it sold about 3 copies as well when the reality is, it didn't do half back in the sales. One thing I noticed is that people based their opinions on reviews of the BETA and RC versions and then the very initial RTM version about 2 hours from release. The software problems are still very alive in Windows 7, it's over a month since it went on sale to the public, and software developers have had a lot longer to update drivers and software. Yet day in day out, both at work and at home, there are bits of software and drivers not available for Windows 7, and don;t even work with the compatibility chosen. I'm not talking Dodgy phone modem drivers here, i'm talking HP Laserjet printer drivers, Canon scanner drivers and bundled software, ASUS don't have ANY software that works at all on Windows 7 for my Motherboard and so on. My point is, it took time with Vista, but in the end it was not as bad as half the people seem to make out. Windows 7 rocks, no doubt about it. but it is not that different from vista at all, a lot of the things people bitch about vista for, are still very much included in 7, albeit much more refined.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Would I switch to Windows 7? Yes.

Not to turn this into a “Vista sucks” thread I didn’t rate the OS either.

Reasons:

*Slow network speed and deleting files. Why does it take 30 seconds to calculate how long to delete two notepad files? I don’t give a toss if it was fixed after service pack 56, it should have worked properly when the OS was released.

*UAC. Far too intrusive. I know it’s all about security but why do I get a “are you sure you want to do this?” message box when I want to open event viewer? I noticed I didn’t get this with Windows 7 UAC.

*Random explorer crashes. This seems to be more evident on Vista for some reason. I would be working away and suddenly explorer would bomb out so I’d have to wait until it sorted itself out and then I could continue working. Granted this did happen in XP but not to the same extent.

*As Zeb has said, why is there a prompt for admin rights when you browse to a system folder but if you click ok it takes you straight in?!?!

*Windows firewall. Has anyone had the misfortune installing a router\firewall with a Vista laptop?!? Each time I would patch into a router it was take an age to “detect” a network before I could do anything. I then got the same problem when I patched into the firewall. I don’t want to hang around when the main network gateway is offline but I’d have to wait while Vista sorted itself out. I ended up configuring a dual boot on my laptop so I could use XP instead.

I did use Vista on my home laptop and it was fine for light work\web browsing but there just wasn’t the demand\interests to install it on customers networks.

Windows 7 is working out much better so I hope to start rolling this out next year. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

I have Windows7 from 1st day of official release now as host.
    I study MCDST(XP) in virtual PC 2007 on my windows7.

It's important for me to pick up the new technologies, otherwise you get problems over a year of a few years.
    I experiments a lot now with windows7 and XP in the same workgroup. Share files and things like that, so i learn XP in detail and make in the same time the step to 7.

Also i gonna check on regular base how i can do the the things i learn on XP, how to do them in Win7.

On another laptop i have only XP, which i can also use for 70-271 study.

Do you guys think thats a good strategy?

Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA
  4. colemancol

colemancol New Member

Hey I use that..It is just awesome..
    This things are new as per my experience:

You might want to check out our article about Windows 7 which has all the information you need to download the beta of the new Microsoft operating system. If you are not convinced yet that this is a good idea read on; You might be surprised:

1. Opening multiple Instances of the same program

Want to open multiple instances of the same program? Maybe a second command prompt or another application that can be opened in multiple instances? Instead of opening the program again the usual way you can simply press the SHIFT key and left-click on the first instance in the Windows Taskbar to open a second one.

2. Problem Steps Recorder

If you ever had to do phone support you know how hard it can be to understand what the user on the other end of the phone did and wants. The Problem Steps Recorder is a sweet little tool in Windows 7 that can be used by the user to record his steps.

All that the user needs to do is start the recorder by entering psr in the Start Menu box and click on Start Record in the program interface. Screenshots will be taken from user actions. It is possible to add comments at any time if the user feels so. The whole recording will be saved as a zip file containing a slideshow of the actions.

3. Pin Favorite Folders

Want to add a favorite folders to Windows Explorer to be able to access them faster? Just drag and drop the folder to the favorites menu. It will remain there until you delete it with the delete key again.

4. Moving Windows and such

Windows 7 introduces several new keyboard shortcuts for window management. Some useful ones are:

[Windows Shift Left Arrow] or [Windows Shift Right Arrow] to move windows from one computer monitor to another.
    [Windows Left Arrow] or [Windows Right Arrow] to dock windows to the left or right side
    [Windows Up Arrow] to maximize a window
    [Windows Down Arrow] to restore or minimize windows
    [Windows Home] to minimize all windows but the active one

5. Shortcuts to start pinned taskbar items

Pressing [Win Number] will start a new instance of a pinned taskbar item. You should also note that the items can be dragged and dropped into different positions easily.

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

UAC is much better on Windows 7 in comparison to Vista. No "are you sure you want to do this?" when opening event viewer now.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Spill the beans, any better than your vista experience.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. WinShaman

WinShaman New Member

Removed Torrent Content

I too never had any problems with Vista (especially after sp2) and still use it now. Yet Windows 7 is a vast improvement with respect to performance.

Certifications: A+, MCTS, LPIC-1
    WIP: LPIC-2
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If one was so inclined, there are some forum rules one might want to read: link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Isn't that what the 90 day trial is for :p

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Performance is far better, but then I put in a Crucial SSD at the same time, so no direct comparisons are possible. Booting takes around 10 seconds now, shutdown about 2 seconds, no annoying modal blue spinning disks so far. Win 7 even just puts a spinner on the network icon and lets you get on.

Watch the videos I posted, numerous improvements have been made and some things were reverted to XP style functionality. Also it appears the issues I mentioned in Vista have been solved, non essential services like the tablet service are not defaulted on in Win7. The disk does seem less busy, but then as I said it would be harder to spot disk I/O now.

Many areas are now 30% better than Vista, 30% less memory footprint, 30% faster video playback, less lock contention, like I said time you count people who downgraded Vista to XP and upgraded Vista to Win7, be nobody left !

Mark even made a little joke about Vista performance...

What can I say ? Do you use a laptop with a 5400 rpm drive ? If so do you find you have to make a lot of cups of coffee when you work ?

Not installed much or ran many apps yet, but so far looks very promising and think I will probably end up agreeing with marks statement of 'this is our best windows ever...'

12. WinShaman

WinShaman New Member

Okay, one has read and one has been put in their place. :cracking

My apologies.

13. WinShaman

WinShaman New Member

Indeed, that was why I provided the link - for people to take advantage of the evaluation period (extended to 120 days) and then purchase a product key.

However, as pointed out ..... I should have read the forum rules prior to dubious offerings.

shutdown -h now
    halt
    poweroff
    init 0

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...from a site that isn't authorized by Microsoft to distribute the software.

My intention's not to "put you in your place" or to twist the knife... just trying to keep you safe and let you know what copyright law (and this site) does and doesn't allow. :)

Best regards.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!