Working in the UK question ?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Oh no it isnt, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Firstly I never said I wasn't getting interviews over here so that s more cr*ppy assumptions and if you read the post you'll clearly see Ive had a few interviews and have a few next week also which aint bad in the middle of a recession when applying for a job I have no experience in.
    Secondly in my original post I stated the IT certs I have and just asked “would these certs alone get me a level one job in the UK without any experience?” Thats the blunt of it ...Yes that is what I wanted to know.....not how my CV looks or what problems there might be with it.And yes I really do appreciate the posters that were willing to take a look at it and doctor it up that was very decent of them to offer but as I had to state many times my previous line of employment prohibits me from posting that info to the net, so it gets very annoying when some posters cant understand this and rabble on instead of just saying fine. The tread continued on to rabble about this and other general assumptions posters made.
    If you bothered reading also as I have stated so many times the education requirements for level one jobs are completely reasonable in the UK compared to most in Ireland. This was one of my original points and it is back up by going to and looking at jobsites in the UK and ireland and compare the requirements.
    For example I see hundreds of UK jobs looking for A+, N+ or maybe even Mcdst or GCSE's with little or no experience.
    Now compare that to the majority of the same jobs im applying for here and there looking for MCSE, Degree, and 5+ years experience(stupid I know) but that is why I came on here to find out in my original post. Most employers here have not even heard of things like A+ and would be surprised if any poster could find even a couple of jobs in Ireland with A+ as a requirement.
    The blunt of this tread is I have a decent job at the moment but im looking to get into IT as are many others and I understand I have to start on the bottom rung of the ladder as level one support.
    So while spending a good while comparing jobsites in different countries as to where to try to start the requirements in the UK are definately lower (not saying them all but in general )compared to here and there are hugely greater number of them advertised and that is fact just look at job websites. So all I wanted to know was would the certs I have get me a job there (UK) with no experience.
    Never once did I mention I couldnt get an interview etc.
    Anyway enough.
    Thank you for your help in offering to help with my cv , I really appreciate it but some people are making a lot of assumptions and drawing conclusions for yourselves.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
    Certifications: MOS,ECDL,A+,NET+,MCP,MCDST,MCTS (BSc)
    WIP: MCSA RFID+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Alright mate, you may want to consider if you can handle a pay cut to move into IT. You say you have a decent job just now however almost all entry level IT jobs pay a low wage until you get some commercial experience and then you will have more options.

Even though job requirements may be more realistic in the UK there will still be hundreds of applications for each job so I would say it would be just as hard to get into IT in the UK. I haven’t checked out job adverts in Ireland so I`ll have to take your word for it that the listings are asking for more certs etc. in comparison to entry level UK IT jobs.

My advice: Apply for the entry level jobs that are asking for a degree\MCSE etc. Chances are that some of these jobs are being filled by someone that does not have the required certifications. The job listings are probably being written by an agency or a HR person that doesn’t have a clue about IT. If your CV lands on the desk of an IT manager they should recognise your certs and hopefully realise that you are a good candidate for an interview.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would really have to advise that you don't bother coming over here, whilst you may think that it will be easier getting a job over here, the real truth is that it won't be. Yes the initial impression is that the requirements for getting a job over here are less than say in Dublin or the rest of Eire I can assure you that it won't be easier, infact it will probably be harder, why you ask? Simply because there are far more people applying for those jobs and it's not just those with little to no experience but also those with the experience and the certifications to back up that experience.

One thing you have to realise is that for the most part an IT certification is usually used to highlight the experience you already have, not to be used as a way of getting an entry level job. Add to that the fact that for each entry level job you see there are likely to be between 50 - 200 applicants applying for that job you can see that the chances of you getting it are already slim, factor in that there will be candidates with more experience than you and that goes from slim down to none.

Even experienced people are finding it difficult to find work, in the last year I have spent nearly 6 months out of work and I can assure you that I am neither lacking in experience or certifications.

I can assure you that moving to a new country on the off chance that you will get a job isn't a wise decision, especially in this current climate. If nothing else then please accept that you won't be better off over here, infact you stand a good chance of being far worse off.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Thanks mate

5. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Thanks mate,
    This is the kind of info I was looking for, and from the sparkys last post also.

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Short answer:

'Are my certifications good enough to get me an entry level IT job in the UK?'

Yes.

'Does having no experience make it more difficult?'

Yes.

'Does having a CV that sucks make it even more difficult?'

Yes.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I call bull**** on this thread.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ummm... What? Where? Why? How?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Err, ok....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

:hhhmmm:eyecrazy:confused3:dunce:silly:shtum:huh:toilet

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD