Working in IT

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

As a reseller my place often gets returns and open boxed kit that it cant do anything with, or even cancelled orders, we get an excel sheet that goes round with a bunch of stuff for sale when they want to clear out the secure area, I saw a Cisco 2801 on there for £40 quid and snapped it up, figured it would be old, maybe broken, had no idea that all that had happened was the box was opened, not even a fingerprint on the device!
    £1060 quid router for £40, the railmount kit costs more than that!

Fortch
    dont sweat it, it was a very important point to raise and get across to the new generation of IT staff

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Thought I would relate the post from fortch to an experiance in my place of work...

Free IT Equipment
    Another PC is on your desk when you arrive in the morning. You find out that it doesn’t always power up correctly and the client wants the PC back ASAP. You suspect that it may be the PSU so you install a spare one that’s been in the office for ages and the problem still persists. No joy with another CPU and RAM stick as well, not good!

The PC is under warranty so you ring the manufacturer to request a new motherboard but the tech *insists* it’s a problem with the RAM and processor. You explain that you have tried other components but because you are classed as a ‘user’ your IT knowledge is disregarded in this case. A new CPU and RAM stick arrives a few days later, you install and the problem still persists.

Eventually you finally get the mobo sent out under warranty and after installing it everything is working, joy!

Two weeks later the MD asks why a spare CPU and RAM stick is sitting on the build desk. You explain they were sent out by mistake and they were not taken back by the manufacturer as they are now ‘used’ components.

The MD holds up both components and says “does anyone have any use for a 3GHz CPU and a Gig of RAM?” and then holds both components up in the air.

You stop what you are doing and so do all the other techs in the office, coffee mugs and pizza boxes fly all over the place as the techs try to get over to the MD who is still holding the CPU up which has the sun reflecting off it, at the this moment in time the CPU looks better than the world cup. The 1st line techs in the office cut off their phone calls with “it’s a server problem, I’ll phone you back” and slam the phone down. They are now in the chase for the free CPU.

Picture the rest in slow motion.....

The MD is now standing in the middle of the room with the whole IT staff sprinting to *get there first* to get the CPU. Some of the guys have not done any exercise in 10 years!

You are beaten! One of the 1st line techs get their first and everyone returns to their desk having just pulled a muscle trying to race across the office. You ask the 1st line tech what his plans are for the CPU, “To run Doom 3” he says, which p*sses you off as you had plans to run virtual PC on your home rig. You are now in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yes, IT certainly has it's perks. I'm now the proud owner of a Dell PowerEdge 1400 server that was going to be binned. It's a bit dated and could do with upgrading, but it's ideal for my home lab.

My boss was happy for me to take it knowing that it was going to aid my studies and in turn bring some benefit back to the business. 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok I just had a classic call...lasted about 30 secs but here it is:

User: I want to know how to get the sound working on my computer
    Me: Do u have the volume icon in the system tray?
    User: Yes I have checked that and everything is turned up.
    Me: Do you have speakers?
    User: I have headphones.
    Me: Have you checked they are plugged in the back?
    User: Do you know what? I didnt think you had to do that. I thought they would work automatically.
    Me: :eek:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL - I went to an old couples house yesterday and one of their complaints is that the sound didn't work.

Me: Press on/off switch on speaker

Users are funny :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)