Women in IT

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UKDarkstar, Jan 18, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

No, this is not a sarcastic dig at our skirt-wearing colleagues !

The January IT Now magazine from the BCS is highlighting Women in IT.

It's probably not appropriate for me to reproduce articles (permission/copyright reasons) but the following links may be useful to the ladies on the forum :

BCS Women's forum and BCS Women

Women in Technology

Computer Clubs for Girls

W-Tech Event - Feb 2009

If you want to read more then blag a copy of the magazine from a colleague who's a BCS member :)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

After reading a few articles from Rebecca George and seeing her statement when she took over as the chair of the BCSWomen group, I sent her an email decrying the lack of information and networking opportunities for women on the service desk side of IT (she had openly asked for feedback on encouraging women into and keeping them progressing in IT)

I basically described how all the networking and/or training events are geared towards management and theoretical IT, as opposed to the 'nitty gritty' - which is why some women may be disillusioned with their job roles and potential professional development.

Fair do - she replied, thanking me for my points and input :)

I've signed up to attend W-Tech 2009, but it remains to be seen whether I can get the time off work to go down and do a little networking myself. I'll drop some feedback on the event if I can get there.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

The magazine headline on the front cover says :

Women in IT - BCS wants to build a profession that's good for women and better for all

Guess it takes time ..........

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Me personally I would like to see more women in IT, however so far we've advertised 2 jobs (1 full time tech & 1 IT apprentice) in my dept over the last 4 years and there was only 1 female who applied (out of about 20 for the tech role and 11 for the apprentice role) and she was more interested in a programming role.

The IT field has a long way to go to change the perception that everyone, especial women have of IT. But that's based on my own experience.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In my department we have quite a lot of women at various levels, including managers. I'd estimate at about 30% to 40%. So it *does* work in some places!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Just logged in and seen this.

Tis quite amusing as I am on a VMWare training course this week and all the other candidates are men. But it seems like every course in the training centre is solely men also. Never noticed it before!

Thread looks interesting. Shall take a look later!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The only two women who are regularly on my floor is the VP of Finance and the head of HR. The receptionist comes up routinely as well. All the IT people and developers are guys.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

We have a woman tech at my place, she's always in a bad mood :p and doesn't like to do any work but then again the whole IT dept at my place don't want to do anything.

The place only worked when I was on my extra shifts there :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Up until a few months ago there was more female IT bods in our department than males! In the company I work at quite a few ladies have technical roles.

However I still feel the need to made a Neanderthal/childish and ignorant comment....

"Chicks working on 'pewters! whatever next" :biggrin

Ducks thrown objects and runs towards the door.....

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  10. jayford

jayford Bit Poster

...in response to your signature .....your next sentence should be "...I RESIGN !"

Certifications: HND Computing, procrastination+
    WIP: MCITP Developer, Bsc Info & Comp
  11. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Cool, do you think I should resign from IT and take up comedy full time?
    :biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Unfortunately, Number 6 couldn't "resign" from the Village. I think it would have been really funny though, if Patrick McGoohan had delivered that line and it had been preserved as an out take. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

It probably won't change, as a lot of it is actually true - a lot of IT-related jobs involve lifting, getting on your knees, routing cables etc...or being in a cold, windy server room...or just spending time in a very quiet environment where all you can hear is the sound of heavy fingers on keyboards and the occasional cuss (or whoopeee!) from a developer :biggrin Also, because there are a lot of young lads in support-type roles, they quite openly talk about women in a way that may offend a lot of them... and a lot of women are sensitive to that, plus the working environment just doesn't appeal to them...

Also, it's almost like an innate thing. If I start talking to my female friends about computers, many of them just trail off and some-how the conversation digresses. IT just doesn't do it for many of them! (pardon the pun)

14. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Going to sound like a bit of an ungrateful kill-joy, but, in all honesty, 'computer clubs for girls' seems far too 'girly' and almost 'segregates' women from men...maybe they do have some good stuff in them, but the title is so off-putting that I just can't be bothered to explore...now if it said 'hardcore computing for women' I may be more enticed!!:twisted:

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've yet to meet a woman who really 'lived' IT - either at work or in my personal life. I've worked with plenty of women in this profession - usually in managerial, supervisory or similar 'non-technical' roles - but never come across one who loved what they do as much as I do. Then again, I don't think I've come across that many men who love IT as much as me!

Seriously though - you should be in the kitchen, making a nice cup of tea. We'll call you when we need to explain how to use Outlook to a user...:twisted:

PS: Lee - you might want to re-evaluate ever using the words 'hardcore' and 'women' in the same sentence again...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. Arroryn

If you can't make hot drinks OR explain simple Office products to an end user, I'd rethink your career young man :wink: :twisted:

17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ah - but I CAN do those things - its just that they're women's work - like ironing, and washing, and cooking my tea.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  18. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

What she said! :twisted:

19. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I can see the duct tape coming out for Zeb once a certain person sees this thread ! :p

And I was as such great pains not to be seen to be having a "pop" at women in IT :)

20. Arroryn

Luckily, the women contributing on this thread aren't to be popped at lightly :rolleyes:

Zeb - I'm gonna kick your ass next time I see ya. Or not buy you a drink, whichever hurts more. Probably the latter. :biggrin