Wireless problem...

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Kraven, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Heres a question if anyone knows...

Ok, well my friend rings me up and says hes got a wireless router. He's set it up and he gets the internet fine on it, however when he logs onto his laptop and accesses the internet it kicks him off the internet on his main computer and vice versa, meaning neither can access the internet at the same time. I don't know how hes got it all set up yet until I go round.

Ill be going round soon to see what the problem is, but I was just woundering if you guys knew the problem, or experienced this problem before just so I can get straight to the problem.

Thanks
    Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looks like a IP address conflict, if DHCP is enabled on the wireless router make sure both devices are set to 'automatic' to obtain an IP address.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

I was thinking about DHCP, but usually when a device recieves a conflicting IP, Windows will bring up the bubble stating that there is a conflict. And doesnt allow the device to connect to the network, so how would this cause the other device to lose it's IP and connection to the network. I may be wrong.

Thanks
    Kraven

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I'd check the DHCP setup and make sure that the DHCP range isn't set to just one IP address.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Kraven,

Questions:
    1. What kind of technology is his internet access? DSL? Cable? Other?
    2. What make and model wireless router does he have?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Cable I believe, and I do not know the model as of yet.

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Kraven,

When you have a look at the set-up see if there are any error's displayed. I agree it sounds like there is only one IP being handed out.

Please post back and let us know what you found.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You need to find out more about his cable set up, it may be that the connection software is installed on the PC, meaning that the authentication process (username and password) is handled by software the PC - if this is the case, when he logs in on one PC, it will boot him off the other.

You may need a modem/router with NAT, that is capable of authenticating with his cable company, ie the router is configured (usually in a browser) with his username and password and it is the router that is assigned a single IP address by his cable company, and it will use NAT (network address translation) to map that single external IP address to two or more private IP addresses for the internal PCs.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)