Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by irsolangi, Feb 12, 2008.

1. irsolangi

irsolangi New Member

Hello 2 all members

Dear Members, I am new in this forms, and I want pass my MCITP, I am going to start from 70-620.
    Anybody who tell which matrial Material is required to pass 70-260

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I'm going to assume that you mean the 70-620 exam. You can view the topics covered by the exam at Microsoft's Web site: LINK

3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Well, there are a number of books out there on the subject.

I have just today ordered this... it's coming tomorrow... w00t! 8)

6. BosonMichael

I must say, I wholeheartedly agree with your choice of study tools. 8)

Many thanks! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. GiddyG

The reason I am getting it is that I am enjoying looking at the Boson NetSim so much that I want to do something to back up what I am learning from that. (The Sec+ has taken a back seat for the time being).

Oh, and I am going to attempt the 70-620 exam, based on what I take in from the Boson NetSim and the book.

I fully understand that neither will give me the full picture on what I need, only experience does that... I just want to set myself the challenge.

Plus, I have a second attempt voucher... 8)

I will, of course, let you know how I get on...

Edit: I am also going to take a week off work to concentrate solidly on reading the book, and going over the NetSim again and again...

8. BosonMichael

You mean ExSim... NetSim is a Cisco router simulator, ExSim is for Microsoft/CompTIA/Cisco practice exam simulations. :)

You'll notice that the questions in Boson's ExSim are FAR more detailed than anything Josh and I wrote in the Sybex book. Nothing wrong with the questions we wrote in the Sybex book... they're just not as detailed as our Boson ones. :)

Make sure to note any comments regarding any errors as you're studying. :)

9. GiddyG

Sorry Michael... yes.. ExSim... :oops:

The ExSim is great BTW... the links to the MS site are really good and I am using them to gain extra info... averaging about 52% which ain't bad given my (lack of) experience...

Heh heh... it's fun trying to catch any mistakes... :twisted:

I might just have to invest in the Sec+ one after this... 8)

10. BosonMichael

Trying to catch our mistakes will *absolutely* improve your own knowledge. If you can catch our errors, then you HAVE to have a good understanding of the topics. :)

Note that the Security+ product is NOT an ExSim-Max product, so I cannot verify how good it is. I would venture a guess and say that the explanations in the ExSim products are not likely of the same quality as the ExSim-Max products (like CCNA and Vista).

11. GiddyG

It's like looking for a needle in a haystack... lol

Understood... :)

12. GiddyG

... and it is huge! :ohmy

My MCDST book has 442 pages including the index. The MCTS book on Vista has a whopping 678 pages, including the index. :blink

Gonna start reading it tonight... wooh hooh...

13. BosonMichael

Keep in mind that some of it (unfortunately) is relevant to 70-622 (so you'll have a good headstart on studying for that one). Sybex had us keep that content in the 70-620 book. But it's better to have more info than not enough!!!

14. GiddyG

Heh heh... err... I don't suppsoe you know which pages I can skip then? :rolleyes:

Only joking... had a brief look at it over coffee earlier, and can't wait to wade in for proper tonight... :biggrin

Also, got my Vista software coming too, so that should help...

15. BosonMichael

I sure do... the majority of chapters 2, 5, and 7.

That said, I wouldn't entirely skip them... skimming them would be a better option. There's still good nuggets of usefulness in there. ;)

16. GiddyG

Thanks for the tip...

Just finished chapter 5... got 14/20 on the test, with some daft, daft, mistakes (makes note to read the ****** questions properly! :x )

Onto chapter 6 next... Configuring Security... 8)

Ahem... which 'kind soul' wrote chapter 11? It runs from page 493 to 614... :dry

Seriously, enjoying it immensely... can't put it down (can't pick it up either at over 650 pages... :twisted: ), and can't wait to delve into the ExSim again.

17. GiddyG

OK... Hit first hurdle...

I am looking at GPO inheritance and I now (believe I) understand that there is an order of inheritance, viz a viz, highest to lowest being:

- Local
    - Site
    - Domain (must be honest, I would have expected Domain to be lower than OU, but such is life)
    - OU

and that this means that Site is a child container of Local, Domain is a child container of Site, and OU is a child container of Domain. I also appreciate that child overrides parent.

So, if 'No-Override' means that the child cannot override the policy settings of the parent, how does it work out that this is better than merely allowing the child container to override the parent when I want to set corporate policies?

I would have expected the OU or Domain GPO/policy to be an easier way of setting a corporate policy, given that child overrides parent. I would also expect a local Admin to have access to GPOs at the local or site level, in order to be able to modify, but not to be able to modify at the 'child' - Domain or OU - level.

All help gratefully received.

John

18. BosonMichael

Yeeeah... that was me. But it's not as bad as it sounds... there's 16 exercises and 76 other assorted graphics in that chapter.

19. BosonMichael

No-Override isn't necessarily "better"... there are just certain scenarios where No-Override is the best (or easiest) way to handle GPO enforcement.

Local level means setting the GPO on the local computer. A local admin does have access to that. But those aren't easier to set, considering you'd have to set them individually. :)

Local admins can't set site GPOs. You need to be a domain admin to set GPOs in AD.

In the "real world", site GPOs aren't used much... at least, with only 8 sites (that were already broken down by OU), we didn't... we used Domain and OU GPOs. And you're right, that IS the easiest way. :)

Someone please let me know if my logic is whacked.

20. GiddyG

No, I am certain your logic isn't whacked at all, and it makes me feel better that I actually do understand what you're saying.

I appreciate all the tech stuff above, about LGPOs on PCs, and local admins not setting site GPOs.

I had just been trying to get the head around the final two sentences of the para on No Override (page 207).

I can understand the bit about not 'allowing administrators of lower level containers...'; I just couldn't get my head around the earlier bit of the sentence... the 'set corporate-wide policies without allowing admins of lower level containers to override...'

That is, unless... LGPOs do not come into the equation here, and we are only talking GPOs from site all the way down to OU.

Thanks for getting back to me on it. Almost finished chapter 8 by the way... :eek: