windows\system32\config\system is missing!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by PCJessD, Sep 7, 2009.

1. PCJessD

PCJessD New Member

I know that i can repair this with the original CD-Rom, but unfortunately I do not have the CD. How can I fix this problem without the CD?:(

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You could try copying it from another pc into that location. Might work, might not, but its worth a shot - Just make sure that the two machines are patched up to the same level (And the same OS obviously).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I always find that things are in the last place you look.
    Have you tried looking behind the operating system?

:biggrin

Having said that, I now remember a quote - not sure who it was, Billy Connally or Ricky Gervais - who said 'People say it's always in the last place that you look. Of course it is. What sort of idiot keeps on looking after they've found something?'

Ah, comic genius.
    Not me, I mean him.

:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You could try this manual fix from MS. It's worked on most of the PC's I've tried it on (there have been a few times when it hasn't worked). As you do not have the original discs, you may want to see here about boot discs.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would say the chances of the OP having an OEM operating system is VERY high.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)