Windows Server 2012 R2

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Jun 5, 2013.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi All

2012 R2 is being unveiled by Microsoft so I thought I would share some links with you.

You can download an evaluation copy as you would expect, and read a summary here

I would recommend you read Microsoft White Paper on 2012 R2, it is a good read in your break.

Hyper-V is seeing some good upgrades with what it calls a Generation 2 VM. Interesting features include Remote Live Monitoring which lets you monitor network traffic too and from a VM. We can achieve this in multiple ways but this is now included in Hyper-V.

Nic Teaming has been improved and 'D-Dupe' support is now there for VHDs, a feature I'm almost certain was grey'd out with base 2012.

Linux support is greatly improved (bravo MS). An exciting update is Powershell DSC (desired state configuration) which *nix users currently enjoy. For a summary of whats new read more here. For more on Powershell DSC see here. Looks like this will be in Powershell v4.0. I'm only just getting used to whats new in v3.0!

One thing I would like to discuss is the speed at which Redmond is banging these major updates, and what is looking like entire OS's, in record time. I'm not sure I can keep up in terms of training, mastering whats in the last release etc. What do you guys think?

Cheers
    James

PS If you're on a quick break this history of Windows link on the Microsoft website is pretty cool (to a nerd).

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    wagnerk and rocdamike like this.
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I read about this yesterday, and whilst it seems good news, the speed of the releases is somewhat annoying.

Having only just purchased 2012 licences with a view to start implementing it this summer it seems that I may have wasted money now that 2012 R2 is coming out. I didn't buy SA since I wasn't expecting a new OS to be rolled out quite as soon!

From a Network Manager point of view I will be planning to base upgrades on a single platform and to make that platform last for X number of years rather than the constant testing and upgrading cycle that MS seem to now be steering us down.

I've said this to colleagues for some time now that there are advantages to always being one step behind the latest technology. You know what to expect, and let others do the ground work for you.

3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

That's exactly my point of view.

However, where I am I am 2 steps behind (Server 2003) and it is causing a lot of problems locking the Windows 7 machines down.

4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'm actually working on guaranteeing my clients will be a couple of steps behind current on the server side by the end of the year. My objective is to have all of them running sbs 2008/2011 as the majority don't have reliable enough connections to move to hosted exchange and certainly can't justify the cost of server 2012 and exchange 2013.

Its now sounding even better with the announcement of 2012 r2.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

Comparing to 2008, I believe there was about an 18 month gap between that and 2008 R2, so I'm not sure what they hope to gain by this. Windows 8/2012 platforms only just got released last year - what 9 months ago? What happened to good old Service Packs?

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA
    jk2447 likes this.
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Would have to agree.

Just started to roll out Server 2012 for new migration projects and now R2 is here.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Absolutely mate I agree, and not just that. I recall my 2003 exams being updated with r2 related questions, specifically I think I was caught out by 70-291, not brushing up on some updates, which is kind of fair enough in one way as I should have kept my finger on the pulse, but between trying to earn a living and reading other materials..... I failed it first time.

In terms of certification, I've just been on a 2012 course last week. An all in one MCITP to new MCSE upgrade course, which was great, but now I'm wishing I'd taken it in a month or two because then they would have covered some R2 related material that I just bet Ill get asked in the next four exams I will be taking this year. I suppose it's not too bad because Ill expect it this time around and will be scouring for R2 related materials prior to taking each exam, hopefully others will do the same.

Before I finish my rant I have to say that I really enjoy studying for Microsoft exams and love their work as it pays all of my bills. It could also be argued that its the nature of the beast to keep cert takers on their toes. I possibly value my VCP the most because I personally felt it was really tough and required me to read a daft amount of white papers, blogs and articles in addition to the course. It certainly adds weight in the work place.

With regard to releasing major updates faster than 18 months, and a new OS faster than 3 years, I don't know what they hope to gain. Companies are going to feel behind, be doing constant tech refreshes (or none I believe), may look for an alternative OS that doesn't move on so quickly (XP being the ideal case study for 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'), and lastly...... Most importantly in my opinion..... If you bring something new out, what are you saying about your last product..... That it was lacking, could have been better? I personally think its a massive credit to MS that XP has lasted until the bitter end in the business world. Arguably the best business OS there's ever been and its looking like ever will be IMHO.

Sorry for the essay, James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

As someone only just starting out on their Microsoft path, it is a major concern because it will take quite a long period of study before I can accumulate enough exams to get to each of stage of my goal (especially as the interim level MCTS is about to 'expire' with no replacement). If Microsoft then keeps shifting the goal posts like this in timescales that amount to mere months, it will be much harder to keep up, let alone have a certification that is considered 'current'.

So how it affects our certified status is of particular concern, as if you are certified in an older version, how much pressure is there to have the latest version on your CV? That's something I've yet to discover, but was something you implied at the outset, and makes even less sense when taken alongside the fact that Microsoft themselves usually recommend specific periods of actual operating experience with a given technology before considering sitting for the related exams.

I have to agree as someone that has 'grown up' with Windows, and it has naturally followed that I'm usually quite defensive of Microsoft and their achievements. However, I must admit that in recent years I've started to appreciate opposing views ever more as their strategies don't seem particularly sensitive to their entrenched market. Maybe it is the nature of the beast, as you say, that as corporations become more dominant they try to assert more control of the direction in which the industry moves; but this could prove to be their undoing in the long run if test takers start to dwindle due to instability, especially if viable alternatives emerge that command greater respect.

Which brings us conveniently to the next point. I looked at VMware recently when I found out the Hyper-V certificates were retiring soon. My first reaction was that I'd probably be better off looking at a more stable and equally, if not more, valued certificate path for my virtualisation training in future. So it's interesting to see some confirmation that I was on the right track with that notion.

Interesting way to look at it, and it's not exactly as if the 'new' operating system is a totally new technology, but rather just another evolution of the same basic product that's been with us for a long time. Most organisations I've come across know this well and usually do not see the justification to upgrade so regularly, but even more so in future if the new product is released as they've barely completed the last migration!

It also begs the question, what of the licensing system? The shorter the cycle gets, the more I can see them looking to move towards a subscription based model as it is the only one that would be efficient. I can certainly understand the desire to keep pushing out products more regularly from a profitability point of view; but as you rightly cited with XP, supporting it long past their original intent only fostered respect and improved their market position, which again contrasts with the response to some of their recent moves that threaten to undermine that good will.

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA
    jk2447 likes this.