Windows Server 2003 RRAS

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by philbenson, Sep 14, 2005.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I spent a whole day day yesterday unsuccessfully attempting to set up RRAS on my Windows 2003 Server.

My server is connected via an ethernet cable to my Netgear broadband router. The router is then connected to my Wanadoo ASDL account. The router has a LAN IP address of 192.168.0.1 and I have a static IP address on the server of 192.168.0.2

Yesterday I setup RRAS using the wizard and when that was complete I looked in the Ports list and confirmed that there is an entry there for PPPoE.

I then connected my laptop to my second phone line and configured a dial-up connection to dial the other phone line to which my router and server are connected. Several attempts to connect were met by a "The remote computer did not respond" messages. Quite obviously I am doing something wrong. Anyone out there got any ideas?

I am setting up my RRAS server for demand dial-in.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

so which is it? is there a second line connected to your router or to your server? in other words, which is the first device to get the incoming call?

3. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Does the RRAS server have a modem in it ?

Think you would need to have a modem in it to "dial in" either that or you would be better setting up a VPN connection instead

I dial into my works server using RRAS and it has a modem in it connected to a seperate phone line

Your Server should have a modem and be connected to a phone line and then you would dial the number that the server is connected to

Dont think this would work the way you have described it

cheers
    Mick

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  4. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I have two phone lines coming into the house. One is the broadband line which my router connects to. The other, which is the original line to the house, is just a normal phone line.

I haven't got a modem in my server at the moment but I have got a PCI 56k modem that I could use. I shall install it after writing this and then see if that changes things. I have also got an external ADSL modem which came with the Wanadoo package. Tried that yesterday and it comes up as a port but no joy with that either.

One of my aims is to be able to access my network from a friends PC who also has broadband. Hers is XP Pro based. Could I use VPN for that?

5. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

When I started out yesterday, the first device to receive the incoming call was the Netgear router. That then has a cat five lead connecting it to the server. The other way I tried was using the ADSL modem connected directly to the server via USB port.

My laptop, configured with the dial-up connection is then connected to the second phone line in the other room.

Surely RRAS in Server 2003 is compatible with broadband?

6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

well, the nice thing about broadband is that you can be online all the time, so there really is no need for rras to establish an incoming connection if the other end is also on a broadband line.
    vpn is a good way to do it, but your router should support it.