Problem windows 7 hot keys

Discussion in 'Software' started by steve_p1981, Aug 1, 2012.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

A work collegue has a windows 7 laptop and he has a wierd problem that i can't get to the bottom of.

His kids were playing with it and now it has wierd shortcuts. if you press s it types s and then a date and time stamp. if you press a you get ak etc.

i done a restore to last week but that didn't work and i don't know what else to do. i tried turning the toggle keys, sticky keys etc off but they weren't activated. it does this in every profile too.

any ideas? also it's set to uk english with the standard layout.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi, unless I'm very off-the-mark, these are not 'known' shortcuts in Win7

What application are you typing in to get these to happen? Word? Notepad? Email client? Everything (does it happen in the OS, say to rename a folder?

If it's everything then I'd guess at problems with the keyboard membrane/controller, as if something heavy has been dropped on it or liquid poured on it.

Just a guess but sounds more than a Windows prob to me...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If it happens on all user profiles and survives a restore then I'm tending towards the hardware problem theory.

Mind you, depends what type of restore you did.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Same problem if you plug a USB keyboard in?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Sounds very much like a spillage or hardware failure on the keyboard. Have you tried any other known good keyboard ?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  6. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

not tried a different keyboard. the on screen keyboards works fine. it happens everywhere in all programs. i thought it could be a hardware fault but then it's odd that it does a time and date stamp each time you press the S key.

It's still under warranty, i'll get him to send it back i think. there's no marks to hint at a spillage or anything. very wierd

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon