will it be enough to pass

Discussion in 'A+' started by Mariusz, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

Hello
    Sorry for making new topic in stead of asking a question i some old one, but I thought it will be easier to find somebody to answer this way

I'm going to pass (or not :-)) A+ IT Technician (601 and 602) in few months somewhere in Leeds area, I hope to pass it first time, but I need advice from somebody if I'm going in good direction

I use Mike Meyers All in One CompTIA A+ Certification (6th edition) and I intend to read it twice, I also buy PC Pro and Custom PC to know what is going on (Custom PC is better for it), I watch the Professor Messer, just finished ITQ, have 1 yr of experience in IT Dept, but it was 7 years ago, so lot has changed since, I mantle and dismantle old computer to know more than books say (Duron 1000, 768 DDR Ram, discs on ata etc) and I will install XP and 2000 on it to practice things from M. Meyers book, in plans doing from beggining new computer of new parts (last time when I was "playing" with hardware 256 MB of DIMM RAM was a lot :-))

do you guys think it will be enough to pass? or do I need some additional sources? - If I do please mention them
    Cheers for your help in advance

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  2. slim

slim Bit Poster

hey there,

im sitting the same exams very soon, i also hav a fair bit of experience messin about building systems, but i gotta say i only thought i knew about computers until i started working towards a cert.

i learned alot reading literature on the compTIA objectives, but the main source of help for me was a programme called certblaster which contains mock exams as well as a host of other very helpfull stuff. by using this programme and referring back to the literature i boosted my learning and understanding so much.

take a look at www.courseilt.com/certblaster and see what you think.

there are alot of more experienced and smarter guys and girls on this forum than me, and im sure they will correct me if im wrong.

hope this helps you!!

all the best for your exams!!

-slim

WIP: compTIA A+N+&LINUX
  3. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hiya, I personally am in the same situation, but with the MCDST. I find reading the book and re-reading it, looking up words that are important or you dont understand. Then doing many practice questions online hundreds of them. To get the feel of what you will be asked, this also helps you learn if you find a site that has the explantions aswell. Good luck, I guess the key to passing is to put the effort in.

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

When i done my A+, i didnt feel dismantling and rebuilding computers helped a great deal. Its good to know what each component is but they were looking for the differences between different processors and motherboards. Different bus architecture aswell and how it all works and how moving from 8 - 16 bit helped.

I hope this has changed but it was the reading and rereading i found helped and the only time i touched a pc was to install the OS.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Buy some practice exams and see what scores you get.

Transcender, preplogic and Boson are good personally I think Boson is the best.

Free stuff on the net is usually crap or braindump material which you need to stay away from although professer messer and pro profs are good

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

thanks for help guys

greenbrucelee, nice conf of comp :-), pity that after half a year it's not so impresive like it was on the day of purchase, concerning to purchasing exams - they are bit too expensive, what do you think about those of Meyers All in one book? I did some and I think there is too much questions about win 2000 (I've never been working on it before) and XP

j1mgg I'll do as you wrote, I'll try to focus more on theory than practise

beaumontdvd you're right, I'll try to do more tests

slim www.courseilt.com/certblaster it wants a password from me :), but had not time to see how to get it yet

thanks for the help and suggestions guys, I'll try to work more on XP and 2000 in practise, and I'll do lots of tests :)

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  7. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

-double post-

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  8. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Hope this isn't illegal?

CompTIA A+ Essentials: c_a+
    CompTIA A+ 220-602: c_602

A quick search on google showed these.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+