WiFi Repeater?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by slyuen, Jun 10, 2006.

1. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

I managed to pick up an unprotected WiFi access point at the new place I've moved onto (left open my someone probably living nearby). However the signal is only picked up at 1 spot in the house. I've tried the wireless bridge function with my belkin wireless router but no joy, is there a piece of equipment which I can use to "repeat" the signal?

At the moment I've used my laptop as a repeater, used wireless ICS so that my downstairs PCs can use internet, but it's very slow......coz the originating signal is weak (due to distance).

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not clear quite what you have tried. You can't go into bridge mode normaly unless 1) each end of the bridge is from the same manuf, and 2) both ends are in bridge mode. There are some units, like the Asus 330, that are capable of running a network behind what appears to be a normal station, but most units won't do this.

And because it is a weak signal the speed *will* be slow - not much you can do about that.

D-Link do repeaters - but I've only got them to work with D-Link APs.

Finaly - you need to consider any legal problems from leaching someone else's network!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

It's a Belkin adsl router which is left unprotected, there are no passwords on the configuation page, and I am the 51st person on their DHCP Client list :biggrin
    apparently a lot of people are using it, that's why it's slow....

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I don't wanna preach, but, I think you need to look hard and think is this if not legal, then morally legal. Whilst I'm not going to say that this is illegal or that you should be going around to every unsecured wireless network in the neighbourhood, but should you be using other peoples bandwidth. Just because other people are doesn't make it right. just because you can, again doesn't make it right. You have certs and that does not give you the right to use that knowledge to benefit from others who know less.

Again I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm preaching but there you go.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I found an unsecured wireless network when I stayed at a static caravan park in the Lake District at Easter. Turns out it was the manager of the parks access point, so I knocked on his door the next day, told him about it, then secured it for him. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The morals/ethics and legality of this practice has been well documented on various sites and forums in the past. From what I have read, I have come to the conclusion, that it's simply not cricket to do this :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

I dunno where the signal originates from, but if I do, I would have asked if they wanted me to secure if for them, and ask them to allow me access in return......