wich training provider???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by blair78, Sep 29, 2009.

1. blair78

blair78 New Member

Hi All

Im am sure that this question has been asked a dozen times but am struggling to find the answers. I want to do the MCSE course via distance learning.

I was initially going to go with the home learning college but then saw some bad reviews and changed my mind. I found the national IT learning centre which had good reviews and would sign up with them but the cost is a bit too rich for me.

After trying to search for reviews on every distance learning provider i have lost my head and dont know were i am anymore.

Can any make any recomendations for distance learning providers.

Thanks
    blair

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2009
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Maybe you should ask 'why training provider?'

To be honest, there are good ones, and there are bad ones.
    The fact of the matter is, if you choose to go with a TP or self study the outcome is basically the same.
    It's your hard work that gets you through it either way.

A TP may help by sourcing course material for you, sending you exam vouchers, providing advice etc - but in truth there's nothing you couldn't sort out for yourself. TPs may get discounted material, but they aren't going to pass those discounts on to you, so it isn't really an issue.

But if you sign up with a TP or go it alone, if you don't put the work in, you end up with nothing.
    With a TP you'll be between £4k and £11k out of pocket (depending on how you pay them) and with self study you'll be £15 out of pocket for the price of a book.

BUT, if you really get your head down, go to all the seminars, resit your exams a couple of times, nag the tits off your tutors and generally make sure you get everything the TP offers in their sales bumf, then there may be some value in it.

Assuming you want to fight for it!

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Also I am going to assume that your not currently working in IT or have any previous experience or certs.
    If this is the case then the MCSE is not the way to go yet, as a starting point I would advise starting the CompTIA A+ and proceding from there. The A+ can be self studied, you can pick up the Mike Meyers All in one book for less than £20 usually.

WIP: A+