1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Certify ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Phil, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Just wondered what prompted people to get dedicated enough to put themselves through the pain of certification. Is work making you ? are you trying to break into the industry ? Feel you've hit a glass ceiling at work ?

I found I wasn't progressing at work and not even able to interest the recruiters because I didn't have enough certifiates. So I started out thinking I'll do one exam, get my bit of paper and see if that kick starts things a bit, after doing one exam I thought that wasn't so bad I'll just give the next one a go :) before I knew it I was half way through the MCSE thinking I can't stop now may as well finish. That's me hooked :D got to update can't let it all go towaste and lapse.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Well, I have aways had an interest in computers and used to work with them when I left school,shortly after that I worked in a computer shop but after a few years I thought 'computers aren't going anywhere, lets get a proper trade under my belt' and went into the motor industry as a spray painter (How wrong I was).

Didn't even own a computer until about 5 years ago, it was at this time shortly after I had the internet installed that I started to chat to a guy from down south who had networked his house and thought 'that sound useful' so set about configuring ICS an a few old machines that I had picked up. It worked and I though well that was EASY if I get a few bits of paper to say I can do it I might get a job, after studying for a while I realised the extent the work 'network' really meant, but thought I'm still interested and want to make a career out of it and here I am.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-294