Which way to go?!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Dream_In_Infrared, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

I have read with interest the advice given in answer to various threads about how to start in IT. There is a lot to consider. Having tried distance learning, and made little progress, I feel I am at a crossroads. I want to start a career in IT and need to make it on to the first rung of the ladder, but how to do this?

I have a degree and used to teach so have all kinds of background experience in study techniques advice. The problem is that IT is so different to anything I have done before. :shrugs:

Distance learning left me cold as did the provider. Support was virtually non-existant. The 'work' was 'read this, learn it, answer questions' format.

From this experience I know I need hands-on experience. From past experience of distance learning and 'read this, etc' it went in one ear and straight out of the other! :oops:

I am tempted by the Cerco 4 week intensive because at least it would offer the hands-on I feel I need and even though it would provide their CCSN qualification, I think this would give useful experience that would dovetail with self-study for an A+.

I also read that one forum member has lined up some voluntary work experience and am eager to canvas local business and organisations about such an idea as this would further add to the experiential learning process.

Does all of this sound like a feasible plan?

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

*bump* Anyone got any inout on this, Guys ? :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I have the same advice for you that I give to most people, only you have a great advantage over most. You already know how to teach, so teach yourself. Get the exam books from someone like Sybex and/or Mike Myers depending on the cert you're working on, get books covering the concepts you struggle with, and build yourself a lab. You can find all the online support for learning that you'll ever need in a forum such as this one.

Why pay someone else to do for you, what you obviously have the ability to do for yourself? You can teach yourself for far less money than you have to pay to attend any school. Once you have started to develop some good skills then go out and do some volunteering to get verifiable hands-on experience.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Word! :biggrin

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

With the above said and done, I would still add my 2€ that NITLC are a sturdy, professional and well-run outfit, even if their sales people (outsourced or otherwise) still stank of b***sh*t when I encountered them!!! But that seems to a common case wherever you go.

If you ultimately feel the need to use a provider, then I had no problems with them - and I know a good few others around here will agree.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I have been "teaching myself" along with the help from books and this great forum for over a year now.
    I would say to think of a plan for yourself even if it is just in your mind. If you want to learn a bit and then see how the jobs lie then I would do as already said- get some books and teach yourself.
    Personally, i think that the employment situation is partly due to how much demand positions are in your area.
    There have been many success stories on CF and I think if you try hard enough you will get there.
    Best of luck :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

Thank you for your input. I have lots to think about.

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+