which PSU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cosmique, Jul 3, 2006.

1. cosmique

cosmique Bit Poster

my computer is amd64 2800, 1GB Ram, GF6600, 1 harddisk, 1 dvd drive, and a very cheap noisy 400W PSU.
    once in a while i get messages that my gfx card doesnt get enough power and now that i have added a dvd rw drive the PSU runs very loud. it is obviously time to buy a new, branded one.

do you think i should get some extreme expensive ones like Tagan TG 480-U1 or 480-U22, or can i settle for cheaper ones like like Antec or Thermaltake?

any particular you could recommend? :D

Certifications: none
    WIP: a+, n+, mcsa hopefully!
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Zalman make quality, quiet units. go to quietpc.com :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I use the HIPER 580 watts PSU. Very quiet and cost around £60.
    You get Watts and Watts and Watts of power for the price. Seasoninc also make very good PSU's, but are slightly more expensive. It depends on what you want to use your pc for mainly.

Craig

www.overclockers.co.uk

www.new-egg.co.uk

Good companies to buy from

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  4. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

I've got a Thermaltake PSU, had it for around 18 months now. Never had the slightest problem with it, very quiet too.
    Antec PSU's are generally pretty good.
    I suppose what PSU you get depends on your budget really. :)

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm with Elli5on on the Hiper ones; but work it to your budget.

My fella stuck a 600W in his system I believe; running 500GB HDD, 2GB RAM, 3.73GHz EE Processor, some sort of ridiculously high end graphics card... you get the idea. Works like a charm.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

cosmique,

Since this table is the only one who's existence I know, try to figure out what your computer's power needs are by adding up your computer's components at the first link below. Then purchase a power supply with an appropriately power rating.

I hope this helps.

Links:
    1) Power Supplies: How Much Power Do You Need? - http://www.pcpowercooling.com/technology/power_usage/

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Very true, i use an ATI Radeon X1800XT. And i have never had any problems. Apart from when i try to overclock it too much. hehe

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  8. cosmique

cosmique Bit Poster

using the middle estimates from power usage table you've given me and a power calculator i found at http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp it would seem that my computer needs only around 290-300W. scary to think that my power supply that claims to be 400W can't provide even that little of power once in a while, and i have my old dvd disconnected before i buy a new PSU cause it really was running very loud.

seeing that i only need that little, but stable (!) power i have decided to go for Tagan 420-U1. in the next year i plan only to add a better gfx card (agp - 7800gt perhaps) and 1GB of ram. seems i still should be fine :)

Certifications: none
    WIP: a+, n+, mcsa hopefully!