Which Path

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by spitfirebbmf, Jul 16, 2007.

1. spitfirebbmf

spitfirebbmf Bit Poster

I would like to work in the programming/Software development area of IT (Hopefully Contracting !!)

Could you recommend a Study/Cert path to take.

I am in the process of studying for the A+, I then plan to take the Network+ and Security+ after these I'm a bit lost on the route to take, any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

WIP: A+
  2. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

Teach yourself C++
    CIW,
    MCSD
    MCAD

:biggrin

the A+, Network+ and Security+ are pretty much all technician/networking/hardware related, a far cry from software development and programming :ohmy

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wassup is right - the A+, Network+, and Security+ have little to nothing to do with programming/software development other than the fact that they both involve computers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Software development is not easy mate, are you *sure* this is what you want to do? You will have to dedicate loads of time to get up to speed in a particular language and some peeps just can’t commit the time.

To start with download Visual Studio Express and have a play around:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

It’s also worth noting that it’s not all about writing code as you need to understand the concepts in regard to how code is developed. This can be object orientated software development which can help assist the design and layout of your code. Also helps bolt the whole project together when there are many developers working on a project!

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. spitfirebbmf

spitfirebbmf Bit Poster

Thanks for the posts, I might as well take the A+ as I'm about ready for it.

I'm a taxi driver at present (Horrible Job !!) so I have lots of spare reading and studying time.

What Cert would you recommend that I study for next ?

I have ordered a book on C++ to start with.

Thanks for all the advice

WIP: A+