Which Path to MCSA?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by rocketly, Feb 22, 2011.

1. rocketly

rocketly New Member

Hi

I would like to get the MCSA qualification.

I went along to a training centre today, and was advised there was 2 routes to it through them.

1) CompTIA A+ and Net+ and Computer Desktop Fundamentals, then a MCSA module (6 modules together)
    or
    2) 4 modules direct with MCSA

The training centre suggested that route 1 was best as it gave a lot of background, technical knowledge. Both routes were the same price.

I'm pretty crap at technical stuff - but Im good at software. Ideally, Im thinking I would rather go straight ahead and get into the MCSA and do much more directly on MS Server 2003 - learn all the ins and outs. What I don't know is - in order to pass those exams, would I be disadvantaged cos I didn't have the knowledge that Comptia A+ and Net+ would give me?

2. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

my advice: go for A+ and N+ (they cover also software side of IT). I did them both and to be honest they give good basic knowledge.
    While learning for A+ try to build some used parts computers (what I did I built one used parts and one new computer). while learning for N+ you can buy yourself some cheap things to see how they look like and that you may need in future (what I bought myself was cheap switch, crimper, Cat5a cable, crocodiles (RJ 45) etc)

one more thing: don't let any1 to rip you off. do the certs on your own, without training companies that offer you course for 1k and promise jobs for 25k a year on beginning (you'll be lucky if you get a job for 16k on beginning). buy yourself book on amazon, read it few times, do some trial tests and pay just for exams (115x2 for A+, and around 170 for N+).

Good luck

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I bet the training center didn't tell you that you should have atleast 6 months experience as a network administrator before doing the MCSA did they?

There are certs for people wanting to get into IT and certs for people who work in IT the MCSA is for people who work in IT.

I agree with Mariusz

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. rocketly

rocketly New Member

Thanks for your help.

The training centre did recommend I did the A+ N+ first. She spoke about a guy who had been in his own IT business for 20 years, could strip a computer blindfolded, but when it came to the MCSA he struggled badly as he didn't know the terminology. She said that's where A+ N+ can build up knowledge.

So after doing A+ N+, I'd be able to do the remaining parts to do MCSA - even though I wouldn't have 6 months experience as a network administrator?