1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which N+ book?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Lord Deckard, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I know there are the 2 main contenders (Meyers & Groth) but could someone who's possibly read both recommend one over the other? Went with the Meyers A+ all in one and found it easy to understand, informative and well written so I have to admit I'm tempted to go with his N+ book. Amazon doesnt have any reviews of Meyers N+ and 2 reviews of the Groth book which aint particularly helpful. Anyone got any opinions?

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I havent used them but from what i have seen on CF it seems groth is better than meyers for n+ 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

For what it's worth, I used the Sybex (David Groth) N+ book and found it good.

Sorry, I haven't read the Meyers one but I have detected a general feeling that Meyers is best on A+ and Groth on N+.

I bought mine from http://www.compman.co.uk/ and have found their prices and service to be excellent.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  4. danOne

danOne Bit Poster

I'm using (a few chapters left) the Sybex Network+ book, I'd recommend it.

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I also used Sybex/ Groth and found it easy going yet thorough. Can't comment on Meyers N+ publication though. I would actually like to read it just to see the comparison, but once again the emerging trend remains Meyers for A+, Groth for N+.

Tip: ALWAYS check the publisher's website for errata - whatever the book.

As always, just my 2€ and happy to be proved wrong :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have both books. IMHO it is a close run thing as there are points for both of them. If you liked Meyers A+ book then you may find the Groth a bit dry.

There are details that are only in one, and not the other, and different emphasis on what is important. I can't say that the exam, when I took it, favoured one over the other.

On Jak's point about the errata - I couldn't agree more. It is a shame that, unlike the Meyers book, there is no apparant errata for Groth (or wasn't last Autumn when I was doing the cert), as I spotted a few errors in it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

Thats definitely good advice.

I suppose books are almost bound (no pun intended :biggrin ) to have typos in them.

There is the facility for errata on the Sybex site, but it doesn't seem to list anything for the Net+ study guide - although there is one change listed for the deluxe edition.

The Osbourne/Mcgraw book I used for the XP exam had at least one error in it, but fortunately by that point I knew it was wrong and I wasn't (remote desktop port 3398 instead of 3389).

I think this illustrates the value of combining different training media rather than trying to cram one source only.

Best of luck either way.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Im using Meyers Passport to N+ book and find it easy to understand tho heavy on the protocols..... The exam tips it gives are small but good pointers. I have found 2 errors in it but compared to the exam cram practice test software i have thats nothing....... However i think that to do it properly, if you can afford it, i'd say get both books. Better to have too much than not enough!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  9. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Going to pop into Waterstones and have a browse through the books and see which one appeals to me more. Anyone got opinions on the Exam cram N+ practice questions book? Seems pretty cheap for what it is and you can never test yourself too much, can you?

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  10. Ken

Ken Bit Poster

I have both the Meyers and the Groth book. I have to go with the party line here and say that Groth is better.
    My reasons are this:
    *The explanations are shorter and more economically worded.
    *Groth's chapter on the OSI layer is better than Meyers'. It's simpler and contains less fluff.
    *In general, Groth is a shorter work. Meyers is a good read - it's chatty and easy going stuff - but this can get tiring, because reading anything that isn't 100% relevant is a waste of valuable (and in my case fairly limited) concentration.
    *The Groth CDs (two in the deluxe version) are excellent. There are practice tests, chapter tests, flashcards, a PDF of the text, and other stuff.

But this is the main difference:
    *Groth's questions are more numerous and way tougher than Meyers'. This alone sets the books apart.
    Now I know why the majority go with Groth on this one.
    I read Meyers first and it was a quick read, but I couldn't absorb much. Now I am working through Groth and it is really helping the information sink in.
    Groth was pricey (U$97) but worth it.

11. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

When I did my Network+, I used the Microsoft Training book (MCSA route) geared up towards the Network+. Found that book very useful. Just a different book for you to consider.

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Groth for *to the point* study.
    Myers for a brilliant read.
    I found Mike Myers enjoyable to read, although i would keep Groths in my bag as a reference.

my 2p :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I used Groth and have to admit it was well written and great. :)

Sorry, not read the Myers though.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard