Which Linux OS should I install?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Wolf, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Which Linux Operating system should I install? I am thinking to Install either Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora or Debian.
    I heard that Linux software is much more complex then Windows OS is that true?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Maybe try Mint ?

3. pheroman

pheroman New Member

try ubuntu or mint

Certifications: non
    WIP: mcse,mcsa,mctip,rhct
  4. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

I would start with Ubuntu if I was you.

I don't know if I would say it is more complex then the windows OS but it is much more Robust.
    It is allot harder to hack into if set up right.

While the newer Linux flavors are getting better in this respect, the biggest thing is the learning curve, coming from strictly windows, I assume, it will take some getting used to.

Practice Practice Practice. ;)

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  5. charlie pattinson

charlie pattinson New Member

My personal choice is Ubuntu. Aside from it is free and an open source program, it comprises with tons of software packages that are mostly distributed with free software license. Including in the package when you install Ubuntu are: Mozilla Firefox, LibreOffice, Thuderbird, Empathy, Transmission and a lot more. It can certainly run programs designed for Microsoft Windows or window-based pc. But the decision is still with you. To know the difference between Linux OS, I made a simple research for you. I searched online and found a site that you can use. Here is the link:
    www.techyv.com/blog/all-os-types-linux-family-and-explanation-about-each

I hope you can make a right choice. Goodluck!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I actually quite like Mint.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've always used Ubuntu and some Debian Distro's...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i have mint on one of my partitions and think it's great! the software manager is a very good idea and istalls / uninstalls are very simple. I havent tried learning the command line yet but it looks pretty good and more powerful than windows command line.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Years ago, I played around with Redhat, then Fedora Core - but that was years ago, tried Ubuntu but it would detect my netbook's hardware properly :(

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

How about this one?

I liked the look of Mint when I briefly saw it last. I have a narrow experience with Linux as a whole. In principle I like it, but in practice whenever I install it, it sits around not getting used.

It's a ball-ache to get working sometimes, it's vastly different to Windows (which means I have to expend effort to learn it, when I could be relaxing instead), and at heart I'm a PC gamer - so I always head back to Windows anyway.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

If you are starting off then install Ubuntu, if you really want to learn and jump into the deep end I would suggest installing Arch Linux. Simply installing it will require you to make several configuration changes. There are loads of documentation and videos out there to help you along the way.

Certifications: ITIL v3, IS Foundation