which books?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Jubei_Jedi, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Jubei_Jedi

Jubei_Jedi Bit Poster

Hello again,

have been looking at this forum and am thinking of studybing for this exam and have noticed that alot of people are speaking about MS press books, which ones are they exactly?

Any linkies to them on amazon or other sites would be appreciated.

J.

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the first two books in my link cover both exams for the mcdst http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mcdst&x=0&y=0

They are definetly needed.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

The third book is good aswell.

4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Is the MCDST more practical, i see the books contain a lot of labs.

So is it just a matter of going through with a PC?

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

yes,the mcdst is full of practicals and labs,we don't use those same books at college,the ones mentioned in the amazon link,we use other microsoft books,but there is endless hours of lab/hands on stuff.

The only one that is really easy is install windows xp,chapter 1,lab 1,you'll then do unattended installs,followed by gaining knowledge of domains and workgroups,this material is in the first few labs.

As i said compared to the a+ this is more difficult,but would be less difficult if i was used to accounts and passwords everyday, and understanding permissions and servers.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  6. supernova

Some people i have spoken to find it easier than the A+, guess its what your used to on a daily bases and its also a different style of certificate i expect.

I have done loads of windows desktop administration and support, so i am hoping i have already got the "nack" to deal with this one.

Andi

7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Fair enough - but don't get cocky.

Microsoft are notorious with wording when it comes to exam questions. Couple that with holes in your knowledge = you failing.

Just make sure you're prepared and well-read with regards to the exam material.

Practice makes perfect!

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

i think what the mcdst does show is that the A+ qualification alone [which microsoft recommend as a good qualification to have passed before doing this course] is barely enough for all round helpdesk work ,there is plenty of helpdesk material in the mcdst that just isn't covered in the a+.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  9. supernova

Oops no i don't want to sound cocky.

What i meant was i pick things up easier when using them. So by going through the labs i'll find it better than sitting down learning al oad of facts and figures. I am better learning in a practical environment

Thanks for the warning regarding wording.

Andi