which 70-640 study material?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Hilazing, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Hilazing

Hilazing Bit Poster

Hi all. Just passed my 70-680, and next on the list is the 70-640.

For the 680, it was generally considered that the Don Poulton cert guide book was superior to the MS training book.

Can anyone confirm if this is also the case for the 640?

There's a lot less training materials online for the 640, so i want to make sure I get the right book to help me.

Also, there's a full series of MS books for the mcitp, but it seems to have some bad reviews on amazon, can anyone vouch for that, as it will save me money in the long run as I plan to get all the server 08 certs.

thanks.

Certifications: MCTS 70-680
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I passed using the MS press book and a lot of lab time.

Unless you have quite a lot of hands on time with AD then its quite a difficult exam.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Hilazing

Hilazing Bit Poster

cheers Dave, setting up a lab is not a problem... I have enough hardware to set up 4\5 physical machines, and then there's always virtualisation. So I should be able to get plenty of hands on time.

I might go with the MS book this time around.

Certifications: MCTS 70-680
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

No worries, just make sure you hit all the sections like forest trusts, domain federaration and anything to do with Certificate Authorities.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I've been studying the 70-640 on and off for around 2 months now (Not as much as i would of liked i might add) and have been using the Microsoft press book, haven't got many complaints really. Have read through it once and am just going through it again now making notes on each chapter. Upon reading it the second time making notes the information does seem to be sinking in better now.

Have also been using the CBT nugget videos on train journeys.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  6. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

check the errata for all the errors in the MS 2nd edition book (less than the 1st one...)

I also used the "Exam Cram" book which although not full of explanations, definitely taught me stuff that was not in the MS Press book

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner