Where's my HD gone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superblue, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I know mate, which is why I said ...

I would advise you to be wary of offering advice that isn't strictly true. That's not meant in an unkind way, but I personally prefer not to say anything at all, unless I'm pretty certain about it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

This is surley the properties of one drive , either physical or logical, you cant view properties of 2 drives ( logical or physical) at the same time, and get these results?

IMO he has got 47gb of data on his drive, and has 53 gb of space left. Its a no braining to be honest.

WIP: LIFE
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Does that not only apply to Volumes - not basic disks.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think the OP's best best is to initially follow Mr Cheek's advice and try running WinDirStat which he linked in his post. That is a great way to get an overview of what's installed on your system and any very large files will be immediatley obvious as it gives a proportional graphical representation of the hard drive.

When I read the OP it did occur to me that it could also be a large swap file that isn't being moved by the defrag process.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thats why I though thats got to be the partition size thats been used.

That would be a very big swap file.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Not sure what to mean tbh Drum dude, could you reword that.

You can actually extend primary partitions and also logical drives (within an extended partition) on Basic Disks providing that it's NFTS, not a system or boot volume, and it's extended into contiguous, unallocated space. Obviously it's much easier if it's a volume on a dynamic disk.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I just added the disk management suggestion to confirm there is a recovery partition as the poster has mentioned he has a 105GB drive.

Again going back to OP, before you ran defag with “analyze” did it suggest that defrag should be run?

Also you said there is virtually nothing on the laptop are you sure there isn’t a stack of MP3s lurking somewhere? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Honestly, i don't understand what you mean m8? If the op is looking at the properities of his partion which state he has used 47gb of data and has 53 gb free, then thats what whe has, irregardless of how many other partions he has on on that 1 physical hard drive, if that partitions properties state that, then thats what he has used and has available to use.

WIP: LIFE
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

sorry mate, I included too many 'nots' into my last post. I meant dynamic disk, but you answered the question anyway. cheers

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If the files are located somewhere within My Documents as was suggested by the OP, then WinDirStat is what you should be using to try and getter a better view of exactly what space is being used in different areas of the hard disk.

Have you done any DVD copying or anything like that? Some programs like to use temporary folders within your local profile in order to store DVD images etc.. when you copy them. They don't all tidy up after themselves though, so you could have many gigs worth of files you can simply just delete lurking in there somewhere.

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might be worth running disk cleanup as well. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It can't hurt, but it's not very good at clearing temporary files in my experience. Or rather I should say the designated folder that contains the temp files in the current users profile. I have seen it chock full of stuff many times right after a disk cleanup routine.

My preference is to allter the two environment variables in XP that point to the users profile, and put a fixed path in, instead. Point it at c:\tmp as an example, then all temp files from all users reside in a single location which makes for much easier house keeping. :)

13. greenbrucelee

ccleaner does a better job than disk cleanup.

14. superblue

superblue New Member

Thnks very much CC worked!! :):) It found 35GB of temporary fliles etc! "Modey" tes I have made many copies of DVD's on my laptop, I also had a lot of RAW images on there from my Digital SLR with each picture 12MB..........which i had totally forgot about, sorry guys :(
    When i deleted all my images etc into the recylce bin then emptied it why didn't I get my space on my HD back?

Aagain, sorry I'm a technofobe, I'm ok with Photoshop & Digital SLR's/RAW files etc but computers themselves baffle me completely sometimes :D:D Thanks again for all your posts & suggestions, nice to see my HD say 91GB of HD left :)

Martin

15. greenbrucelee

You should have got some space back. But when you do something like save a picture or something temporary files are created, if you delete that picture that is all your deleting. The temporary files and even the path to the picture can still be on the system which obviously takes up space.

CCleaner does a fantastic job of getting rid of everything, always run it after uninstalling a program or deleting a file.
    or you can run disk clean up.

16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I might try this CCleaner out, I hadn't heard if it before this thread. Every cloud and all that ... :)

17. greenbrucelee

it is good, I heard of it through the Mike Meyers AIO guide.

18. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

No problem. Glad to hear it. :)

Beats my record of 5.5GB then! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  19. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

i heard about it from Certforums! :blink :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  20. superblue

superblue New Member

CCleaner does a fantastic job of getting rid of everything, always run it after uninstalling a program or deleting a file.
    or you can run disk clean up.[/QUOTE]

I will for sure & thanks again everyone :):)

Martin