Where to start?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by steven88, Jun 25, 2011.

1. steven88

steven88 Bit Poster

Hey guys, ive just recently got my a+ and mcdst but just dont know what jobs i should be applying for i got no experience at all.Ive been looking at 1st line support
    but they all ask for experience,should i be looking to shadow or volunteer instead of looking for It junior role.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Keep trying for 1st line support and trainee IT Tech jobs. IT is very difficult to get into. Why not post your cv on here as some people may have suggestions on where you could improve it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. steven88

steven88 Bit Poster

Here ya

Attached Files:

• cvv.doc
      File size:
      34 KB
      Views:
    Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  4. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

Hi.

You've made a lot of the mistakes I made last year with my CV - complete lack of IT skills outlined. You need to be a lot more verbose when defining your skills. Now don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no expert at this, so this is strictly my personal opinion and nothing more. Also, understand that you should design and construct a CV in a manner that targets a specific job. For example if you apply for a job in a pie factory, then you need to let that employer know about all your pie making skills, and not how good you are at cleaning a toilet.

Firstly, with regards to your posted CV, I would outline "Installing hardware & software" in a lot more detail: what hardware? IBM? HP? PCs? Servers? Have you ever installed an IBM Bladecenter? How about Sun hardware? How about some example of what kind of software you've installed on a regular basis? Even if it's something that seems daft like Microsoft Office and Outlook - do you realise how many businesses use these two software packages? If you have experience installing, configuring and maintaining them, then you have vital experience applicable to most businesses out there.

"Configuring operating systems". What operating systems? Windows? GNU/Linux? UNIX? Mac OS X?

"Connecting peripheral devices". What devices? Did you once install a webcam, or have you installed a ride range of complex external devices? Make your statements about your experiences a bit more viscous.

"Virus removal". What about Malware and Spyware? What tools do you use to do this? The latter is critical! If you're a wizard with Spy Bot Search & Destroy, then let the world know it!

Besides the above, your CV also doesn't tell a good tale with regards to your understanding of English. I know this is harsh and a vey blunt statement, but this is a CV and I would only be cheating you of valuable insight if I was to sugar-coat these things. Get someone to write this for you if your English skills aren't up to scratch or, better still, spend a few weeks getting the basics under your belt (simple Foundation GCSE will do).

I hope I've helped and not made matters worse.

Good luck.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP
  5. redbullman

redbullman New Member

I'm in exactly the same position after deciding upon a career change.

Since leaving my previous job just over a year ago, I've passed the A+ and MCDST. I've only been looking for IT jobs for 2/3 months but had no success so far. I was a bit worried that I was too old to start at 34, but from reading other threads on this site, it seems age isn't an issue.

I suppose it's just a question of hanging in there and keep practising server 03 or 08 with virtualization software and apply for as many jobs as possible until you get lucky.

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCDST
    WIP: -
  6. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

Age most certainly isn't an issue, you're right. I've made my move to IT at 26 (27 in July).

Playing around with Windows Server 2003/2008 in a VM is all fine and dandy, but also make sure you understand the relationship and interactive nature of a Windows client connecting to and using a Windows Server (Active Directory, Exchange, etc). With that said you might want some networking knowledge as well, otherwise you will be neglecting your self as you won't fully understand the networking aspects that bring together the Windows client and the Windows Server. If I remember correctly, I believe the Server AND desktop certifications (the one you have) contain networking questions?

Just keep going and make sure you're targeting your CV for the company and the role :)

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP