Where to go next after CompTIA A+?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by a_clark999, Nov 19, 2008.

1. a_clark999

a_clark999 New Member

I currently have CompTIA A+ certification and I want to keep studying to move as quickly up the pay scale as I can being that my wife has just found out she is pregnant and I want her to be able to be a fulltime Mum. I have heard that having the A+ and one other CompTIA certification will credit towards 1 MCP. Is this still correct? I have had a look at the microsoft website (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/partners.mspx) but their wording is not very easy to follow and is not very clear as to what to do next. I am thinking about doing the CompTIA N+ next but I want to be sure that it will count towards an MCP before I go down that route. Also, is there any stipulation by Microsoft as to which MCP it will give me. I am hoping that it will either give me the 70-271 and 70-272 MCP so I can then study for the other MCP to give me MCDST on Microsoft Windows Certification. This is all so confusing as to what is availiable and which would be the fastest route. I am aware it will take a lot of work and I am will to put this in but I just need to be earning as much as I can in 9 months time!!! Any help or advice would be appriciated.

Thanks.

2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Actually the link you provided kind of explains everything:D.. Will break it down more for you though the best way i can;

Certain specified CompTIA certifications(CompTIA A+ credential, CompTIA Network+ credential, CompTIA Server+ credential, CompTIA Security+ credential) can serve as alternatives to passing elective exams or specialization exams for select MCP certifications.

MCSA 2003 requires one client exam(270 or 620 or 210[210 exam retired in March 2008 that means its no more been taken which now leaves you with just 620 & 270] two core networking exams(290 and 291), one core design exam(298 or 297) and one elective which could be any one of these( 70-086 70-089 70-227 70-228 70-235 70-236 70-262 70-284 70-299 70-350 70-351 70-400 70-401 70-431 70-445 70-500 70-557 70-620 70-624 70-630 70-631 70-638), but if you already have any of these Comptia credentials(the CompTIA A+ credential and either the CompTIA Network+ credential or the CompTIA Server+ credential or the CompTIA Security+ credential.) you dont need to bother with the above listed MCP elective.

Same goes for MCSE 2003 which requires.

But note that comptia credentials CANNOT earn you an MCP credit until you have taken one MCP exam in other words comptia credits on its own is not MCP credits

70-271 and 70-272 are core requirements for MCDST, so if you take both of em and pass that earns you the MCDST credentials and that means you dont need to take any other exam unless if later you plan to upgrade to MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, then you will need to take 70-621.. hope yhis puts you on the path you seek.. best wishes on the family:D and of course studies

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Having the A+ and N+ count towards an elective for the MCSA but not any two compTIAs count towards an MCP.

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats :)

The A+ & Network+ can count towards a MS elective for the MCSA, however it does not give you MCP status or give you the MCP cred.

To gain the MCP cred you have to pass a single MS exam, you can gain the MCP cred by passing the 70-271 or the 70-272, which is also worth half the MCDST and then do the other one for the full MCDST.

Do you currently work in IT? Has your employer stated that you'll get a pay rise once you get the MCP cred?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

CompTIA credentials can't earn you an MCP, regardless. They can fulfill elective objectives, but they'll never earn you an MCP.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. a_clark999

a_clark999 New Member

I do currently work in IT for the NHS so I am hoping that if I improve myself I will be able to progress as there are lots of oppotunities in the NHS.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Alex.