Where to get Cisco IOS?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by iRock, Jan 28, 2008.

1. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Hi everyone,

I have just downloaded graphical network simulator version 3 and I'd like to use it while preparing for my CCNA.

I was just wondering how can I go about getting the required IOS that I would need to practice?
    What exactly do I need? - versions etc?

All help appreciated.

Certifications: MCP (270,290), MCTS Vista
    WIP: 291,293,297
  2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

If I understand correctly what you're asking, the only valid way to get the Cisco IOS is to purchase a Cisco device. Cisco has made it clear that they don't allow you to use the IOS on a non-Cisco device or in a software simulator.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Josh is correct. Legally, Cisco's IOS software is only allowed to be run on Cisco's hardware platforms. The only way to practice Cisco labs is with an authorized simulator or on actual Cisco equipment.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Oh Ok,

So really I am best to buy some Cisco Kit rather than use a Simulator at that rate, correct?

Does this mean that I will be allowed to download/update to the latest IOS if I purchase second hand hardware?

Is there any chance that you could recommend a Cisco Router / Switch combination for CCNA?

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you've purchased the official CCNA Cisco Press books, there should be lab setups contained in the text that will outline the hardware and IOS requirements. Cisco also publishes a series of lab study guides that are really helpful. Here's an example:

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587132036&ns=14322

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can certainly use a simulator... just not one that uses Cisco's actual IOS. If you're looking for simulators, there are two that I know of: Boson's NetSim and RouterSim's Network Visualizer.

If you have access to a variety of Cisco gear, by all means, use that. But if you do not, a simulator is a relatively inexpensive alternative.

If you purchase second-hand hardware, you are not allowed to download or update to the latest IOS; you'll need to purchase a SMARTnet subscription from Cisco.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Thanks for that! - I think I'll put my plans off for a week or two and then buy some Cisco gear (after having a glance at some or the Cisco Press stuff).

;)

Cheers,

8. funkodrunko

funkodrunko Bit Poster

when I was doing the ccna, I used a simulator called packet tracer which was supplied by cisco. It was really good. It allowed you to wire up your routers, etc on the screen by dragging wires and the simulator looked and acted just like IOS.

Certifications: HND Computing, BSc Computing
    WIP: CCNA
  9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I’ve found the Cisco simulators (incl. in Ciscopress books) to be limited. To add to the training I’d look at using actual Cisco gear (expensive) or 3rd party simulators (cheaper).

Since this is for a CCNA I’d go with the simulator option to keep costs down, unless you’re planning to do the CCNP immediately afterwards – then you have to make a choice.

List of simulator vendors:
    Boson makes a good product (I think they work with Ciscopress – but I could be wrong)
    Transcender is a product I used in the past, they were good but it's been a while since I've used them
    The Bryant Advantage – seen reviews for rack rental (anybody got a review?)

10. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

So what format does the file come in?