1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to Begin?

Discussion in 'A+' started by MFirm, Dec 24, 2008.

1. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

Hi

I want to start to self study for a career in IT. Where do i begin? What do i need to do 1st? I assume the CompTIA A+ is the 1st certification is this where i begin? If so, what books, materials should i buy?

Many Thanks

MFirm

2. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Welcome to CF!

What sort of experience do you have with computers? :biggrin

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  3. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

Im pretty good with them, im not a beginner. Self taught really.

4. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

Hey!

Ive just found the thread i was looking for - a guide to self study. I imagine this is my best bet?

5. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Well I can't really speak for A+, but everyone on this forum who's does it would probably highly recommend you start with A+ as a good starting point :biggrin

I went down the Microsoft path, which if you want we can discuss further.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  6. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

Thansk for your quick replies but i think i will start with the CompTIA and then work my way from there - thanks again

7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

You'll see a lot of people who have studied A+ and then moved onto Network+. After they go onto Microsoft certs :)

8. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Good choice :) The A+ give a good solid vendor neutral base to build on, and unlike the MCDST (70-271 & 70-272) it covers physical hardware and customer service. The A+ & Network+ compliments the MCDST (and vice-versa).

-ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  9. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, A+ is the best cert to do starting out.

For books, I would recommend two:
    - A+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition by Mike Meyers
    - PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles (who is an active member of this forum - another good reason to frequent this site!)

There are also computer-based videos and practice exams you can buy, though they are by no means required. Personally, I don't care much for video-based training, so I don't have a good recommendation there. And I work for a practice exam company, so my opinion there would be quite biased!

Welcome ot the forums. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell