Where to begin with MCITP?!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by maccaman, Feb 10, 2009.

1. maccaman

maccaman Bit Poster

Hi All

New member trying to create a new career here...

I've had a good look across the web aswell as the stickies at the top of this board and I struggled to find an answer to my query so I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere...

I have a degree in Multimedia but little to no useful experience in the IT trade. Tragically my laptop containing all of my folio work along with backups on ipod and DVD was stolen from me shortly before graduating so I have little to show for my degree either. :oops:

Finding MM jobs has been very hard and I am not a very creative soul, so I have decided to move into a more focused IT career. I intend to get a helpdesk job to get things started and try and get some exp but thought it could not hurt to get some MCP certs while I look.

My question is fairly simple, where do I start?? I am interested in the MCITP certifications, my problem is finding a good resource to guide me. Many of the MCITP certs require a pre-requisite exam.

I have seen the self-study guides on amazon etc and I am very good at buckling down and teaching myself but I dont know which kit to order!!!

If anyone would take the time to help me with some guidance on this I would really appreciate it. If I have posted in the wrong section of the forum, please let me know.

Many many thanks.
    Alastair

2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums!

In relation to the MCITP there are many tracks, which are explained here at the MS site.

If your looking to get into Helpdesk Support to start working in IT and then branch out, I would recommend going down the route of the MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician) which is based around Windows XP.

The reason I say this is that XP is the most commonly used OS and would look good on your CV regardless of whether you say studying towards MCDST or you actually have it.

After this, see what tickles your fancy when you are working in this kind of environment.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. maccaman

maccaman Bit Poster

Thanks Craigie that is some very handy advice. Unfortunately I dont have any mates 'in the game' so any advice I get on this forum is very very valuable! Particularly the snippet below, gives me a bit of piece of mind!!

I think I will probably look into the MCDST, however I have a question regarding the MC site:
    If I was to shoot for MCITP cert(s), they all seem to have pre-requisite exams, where do I start? :oops:

Once again, thankyou very much in advance.

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Don't think of them as pre-requisites, think of them as building blocks e.g. to achieve MCITP: Enterprise Administrator you need to achieve five exams.

The order in which you do them is upto you, you could start with an OS first being Exam 70-620 (earns MCTS: Windows Vista Configuration) and then move onto Exam 70-640 (earns MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration)

This applies the same to the MCDST, you could start with the 70-271 first then the 70-272 or vice versa.

The reason I stated the MCDST was it does not really require that much pre knowledge as is geared towards an entry level IT qualification which would really help you out alot in the Helpdesk environment.

If you look at what I have achieved, it has been the following:

70-271 MCP
    70-272 MCDST
    70-620 MCTS: Vista
    70-290
    70-291 MCSA
    70-284 MCSA: Messaging

The gaps are where I have passed an exam but not gained an MS Certification, just passed an exam (hope that makes sense).

While, I'm currently working towards my MCSE as per my signature :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. maccaman

maccaman Bit Poster

Top marks for response time!!

I agree with your advice regarding the MCDST due to my limited knowledge, plus as you say, even saying I am studying towards it looks good. Thanks!

Mind if I ask how long each of your certs took you? Were you working full time whilst studying for them? Not 100 percent sure what Im getting myself into here!! :unsure :D

Cheers

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Haha no worries.

70-271 MCP - 30.05.08
    70-272 MCDST - 27.06.08
    70-620 MCTS: Vista - 01.08.08
    70-290 - 19.09.08
    70-291 MCSA - 11.11.08
    70-284 MCSA: Messaging - 14.01.09

I was working full time on all of the exams and I have a family. However I choose to make a career change and was lucky to land an IT role within five days of making that decision in April 2008!

I was and am still able to study at work in between doing my duties as IT is amazing, you do naff all until something goes wrong!

Started in first line support currently in second line. If you check out my signature, there are links to the Study Guides I have written.

On average an OS exam about a month each and then the server side stuff approx 1 1/2 to 2 months each. I study on average 1 - 2 hours a day at work and the same in the evenings as well.