Where can I get windows 2000 trial version?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Danmurph, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi People,

How are you all, looking forward to 2008?

I have been busy studying for my a+ and was wondering is there anywhere I can get a trial version of windows 2000?

Thanks

Danny

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I assume you mean Windows Server 2000 (Windows desktop operating systems aren't released a trial versions) and I don't think you can get it anymore as a trial. I did look up the Windows Server 2000 site at Microsoft and didn't see the trial version offered. Here's the link so you can take a look around:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/2000/default.aspx

You *can* get a trial version of Windows Server 2003 here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430831.aspx

Does that help?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I think you will struggle with getting a copy from the MS site because they stopped support for it so im assuming you cant download a copy.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

I just need a copy of the desktop version so I can learn it, just having a bit of trouble remembering all the actions and navigating around the OS

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  5. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

You won't need 2000 Server for the A+ but you can still find Windows 2000 desktop versions on eBay or possibly some of the other online auctions. They can get expensive though. Some time back, I was looking for one for the same reason and most of them were bringing over $100 USD. You might pick up a book on 2000. It's not as beneficial as having the actual OS, but somewhat cheaper.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As I am studying the A+ also is windows 2000 absolutely necessary for the A+?, or would I be ok with a list of commands that can be downloaded from the internet.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

You may very well be able to get by using a list from a book or the web. Having the actual OS simply provides the means for hands on practice which, in my case anyway, reinforces the subject matter that you're studying.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Keep looking on eBay, you might be able to buy a copy for £25ish. Some people are wanting £90 just now, pricey!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Don't get me wrong I would rather have a proper copy, I thought it was completely unavailable now.

Cheers sparky.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Danmurph,

Look for the "MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-210): Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 2000 Professional, Second Edition" book preferably new to make sure you get the included trial version of Windows 2000 Professional CD. Here's the link to the official Microsoft Press webpage for that book. Use all of your book purchasing resources to look for the book such as a local bookstore or online. Good luck!

Source:
    1. MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-210): Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 2000 Professional, Second Edition - http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6111.aspx

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I did get few 2000 path questions in the A+ exam.
    What i did to learn some of 2000 (and have a poke around and see what is different to XP) is bought an old laptop from ebay with it already installed on.
    It was pentium 2 Toshiba laptop with windows 2000 set me back £25, and I was the only person that bid on it!!

Check ebay and the local free-ad papers I say. I did find a site that had every single file path on windows 95 98 ME and 2000/XP but it just scared me:blink

So i bought two old pcs one with 2000 installed (£25) and one with 98 (£15) if you look around I'm sure you could find these even cheaper.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA