where after MCDST?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by IgorT, Feb 23, 2010.

1. IgorT

IgorT Bit Poster

Hi guys! I on the way to get 271 and 272 for mcdst exam, i hope to finish by may. I realy like database technologies and looking forward to learn SQL server 2008, just a question.. what to start with:rolleyes:?? I've heard of MCTS and then MCTIP, is any one can suggests right direction in the database environment?
    Thanks a lot......:D

Certifications: Comptia A+601,602
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Hello if you are into SQL and Databases there is a certification called MCDBA Microsoft Certified Database Administrator

You must complete

One Microsoft SQL Server Administration exam

One SQL Server Design exam

One Microsoft Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 exam

One elective exam

hope this helps

David

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  3. IgorT

IgorT Bit Poster

Yea, thanks, i read from microsoft website that many if MCDBA exams are retired and i couldn't find any more info what will be insted of those exams, its just said"if you already passed it, you can apply it toward this certification..." but i haven't start yet, so i'm waiting for the announcements what exams will be

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The MCDBA is not attainable anymore, unless you've already passed the retired exams. One question to ask is how much experience do you have with MS SQL? If none, then I would say do not do the MCTS/MCITP for MS SQL yet, until you have experience with "proper" databases, and I don't mean Access.

For the entry level DBA cert, I would say go for the MySQL Associate Certification. It's aimed at people/persons that know the basics and/or have not got the professional experience gained by being a DBA or DB Developer.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. IgorT

IgorT Bit Poster

Thanks Ken, that seems helpfull, i haven't got experience with SQL, and i looking for to start with the right thing first! I also wonder if it would be good idea to complete my MCDST now(waiting exam) and after 3 other exams toward MCSA, as it gives good Server knowledge & Networking too, while i'm exploring SQL basics?
    Thank a lot
    Igor:biggrin

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would say, you might as well finish your MCDST as you're currently studying for it. As for the MCSA, how much experience do you have working with/supporting 2003? If you have none, why don't you just concentrate on DB's (whether it's development or administration).

While it's great to have alot of certs (to match up with experience), they are two different fields of IT. But again it does boils down to your experience and your work environment. More often than not, the person doing the higher end DB administration/development will not be the same person doing the higher end support :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. IgorT

IgorT Bit Poster

I realy thinking some times to don't look a all this certs and just focus on DB's , what i mean about MSCA( i have a little experience to work with, but not in the work environment) that it would give me an advantage in the future as you have more extensive IT knowledge, but i agree that would better for me to stick with DB at moment as i quiet new in IT just a little more then a year, rather trying to take over two fields at once...