When would you . . . .

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Luddym, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Okay, here goes . . .

A Bridge is used to connect TWO similar network segments together.

A Router is used to connect MULTIPLE, often dissimilar networks together.

A Brouter is a Mix of the two.

So . . . why would anyone use a Brouter, if it looks like a Router actually does the job of a Bridge, just with the option of connecting multiple segements instead of the one, that a bridge is only capable of?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I must admit that I have never before conciously seen a brouter, although I had heard the term.

Having thought about it I suspect that many routers could be classified as brouters - they just are not described that way.

For example - take the Lucent P50 that sits in front of me on my desk at work. It is usualy described as an ISDN Router/Dialer. However carefull reading of the manual shows that it can act as a TCP/IP router while acting as an AppleTalk bridge.

This would make it a brouter under most definitions, but this word appear nowhere in the manuals!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Muhozya

Muhozya Bit Poster

Hi Luddym;Check this out

Short for bridge router , a device that functions as both a router and a bridge. A brouter understands how to route specific types of packets, such as TCP/IP packets. Any other packets it receives are simply forwarded to other network(s) connected to the device (this is the bridge function).

This means having one device functioning for two purposes is worth. 8)

Certifications: IT Diploma, w2k Professional, Server+
    WIP: MCSE