When are you planning to roll-out Windows 8 in your organisation/network?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by LukeP, Oct 5, 2012.

?

When are you planning to roll-out Windows 8 in your organisation?

1. Not planning yet

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. 0-3 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3-6 months

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. 6-12 months

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. 1-2 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 2+ years

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Are you planning to roll-out Windows 8 in your organisation? If yes, how soon?

- - - Updated - - -

I've been using Windows 8 at home since the day it was released on TechNet/MDSN and I was and am really pleased with it.

I thought I'd install Win 8 on my work machine to see how it goes and possibly start planning an upgrade.

10 days later I cam easily say that it's definitely not ready for corporate use, at least in my organisation.

Besides the steep learning curve needed to become almost as efficient as on Windows 7, I've encountered some problems:

- Some group policy settings don't seem work the same way, but I need to look into this more to be sure.
    - IE 10 is not working properly with some of our corporate systems (like Dynamics CRM for example),
    - Our AV software isn't Win 8 ready and won't install (driver not signed properly apparently),
    - Issues with installing features when connected to WSUS

Have you had a go at it in a corporate/education/public sector environment? What do you think?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've been testing it since the beta release and to be honest, Windows 8 is the only MS OS that I have not been that inclined to learn more about (and that's saying something considering I studied and passed the beta exam for Vista).

I'm running it on my work laptop and am not really impressed. I've also got it on my Acer iconia, slightly better, but still not convinced (was more excited about it in the early days though). Will wait for the Microsoft surface (and probably SP1) before I make my final decision...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

All our servers will be 2012-based (where possible), but Windows 8 probably won't see a deployment any time soon (apart from on tablets). If Microsoft released Windows 8 with an upgraded version of the Windows 7 GUI, I think it would get much bigger enterprise appeal.

As it stands, I think Windows 8 would kill productivity on a desktop with a keyboard/mouse, or on a laptop without multitouch.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I really started to like Windows Server 2012.. but I haven't had much experience with Windows 8. I am really happy with my Ubuntu/Windows 7 dual boot setup so not looking to switch any time soon. As for work, I am starting a new job on Tuesday, so can't comment on that just yet ;).

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Seems all my colleagues are running our latest internal MSIT release, so I would put that in the fully deployed pool. I'm sure some people still have 2008R2 or W7 due to a critical setup that would take ages to replace, and some of them in this situation may simple be waiting for a hardware refresh to move on.

I bought a 512GB SSD for my main work laptop and installed W8 with Hyper-V on it after having removed the previous two disks running W7 & 2008R2 dual boot... If W8 broke or didn't work due to the hardware, I could always go back.

But it works well and Hyper-V in W8 is a blessing. No more dual booting :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Agreed. Main reason for me having it. It replaced W7/Win2KR2 dual boot.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  7. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I've had a bit of a change of heart. Myself and the the rest of the infrastructure team are now running Windows 8 Enterprise and, after a few niggles at first, are loving it. RDP seems to be dramatically improved when going from one Win8 machine to another (or to a 2012 box), which is really nice.

I quite enjoyed building a VM on my local host, then shipping it over to a Hyper-V farm.

We'll probably be rolling out Windows 8 to certain teams in the next twelve months, but will largely be sticking with Windows 7 until Windows 8 has a larger consumer base.

- Gav

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Same here lol.. installed Windows 8 a week ago! I have to admit, I kind of like it! Hope SimonD doesn't read this post! :lol:

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good to hear some positive feedback with Windows 8.

Installed it for a user yet?? :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs