What's your craziest "IT" book, and why?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Shinigami, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Just for fun, I was wondering what each of you consider their 'craziest' IT related manual/book/training guide, and why exactly do you find it crazy?

Is it because the text is so dry it makes you thirsty and all you want to do is crawl in a hole and cry?

Is it due to the author and the way they add jokes and/or wacky bits of information in their books to "spice it up"?

Or is it just because the book is so HUGE?

etc...

etc...

Here goes my nomination:

The Information Security Management Handbook - Sixth Edition
    By Harold Tipson and Micki Krause
    Auerbach Publications

This... this thing, it's massive. The paper it uses is super thin, you can almost see through them (I know a few bibles which seem to use the same paper). The text inside seem to use a Times New Roman like font which I guess may just be a size between 4 and 5. On top of this, there's hardly any pictures in this thing.

And finally, it has just short of 3300 pages!!!

Needless to say, I still haven't finishes reading through this thing :eek:
    That's my crazy book contribution of the day :D

(p.s. the book is great, don't get me wrong. Not very cheap either, at least over here where I bought it... but man, it's a LOT of reading for a single book).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have lots of "crazy" IT books, in the respect that I have no real need of the at this point in my career.

These are, namely, Cisco Press CCIE books.

But I can't help snapping up bargains :oops:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Some PHP and MySQL web development one because i have never really read it properly and i don't really like programming much either. I guess that kind of makes me look crazy and not so much the book though :eek:.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The TCP/IP guide is on my Amazon wish list, and really screws up with all the recommendations emails they send me :biggrin

Just going to go through to the study, and actually look at what crazy I have (IT only - I have lots of other fuggin crazy books, including "Brave New World" in Mandarin).

Hokey, just checked. And apart from one of my bookcases looking like the 'networking' section of daydream Waterstones, most of my other scary crazy books are not IT based.

That being said, if you're looking for a crazy-good (but read it with a dictionary) book on networking, I own and highly recommend Computer Networking - A Top Down Approach

And Computer Networks by Tanenbaum.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. Bokkie

Bokkie Bit Poster

Back in the late 70's when I first learned programming I was sent on a Fortran IV course. The course book we were issued was called the Fortran Colouring Book. It was heavily decorated with hand drawings demonstrating the language semantics and examples. It was one of the best books I ever had.

If there is one gripe I have with books these days and that's the publishing mantra "more pages is better". I've got books almost approaching 1,500 pages. The trend is that if you are going to charge someone £35 or more for a book you'd better gives lots of pages and that does not necessarily translate into quality. I cut my C teeth on Kernighan & Richie's C Programming book. That was a seminal book that proved you could write a book with far fewer pages and still demonstrate all the core features of the language.

7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I am currently reading a book called Hacking The IT Cube. It's absolutely brilliant. Utterly hilarious in places.

Definitely suggest this one for anyone who works in the IT industry. The author is the IT equivalent of David Brent with the way he describes individual IT trades.

Well worth a read!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The Nudist on the Late Shift: And Other True Tales of Silicon Valley - link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I remember seeing a "Word for Dummies" (can't remember for which version but it was a few years back - maybe '97).

In the chapter on MailMerge it said something like :

1) Don't
    2) Really, don't - it doesn't work
    3) oh, if you really must do it then follow this

Seemed amusing at the time :blink

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  10. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417