What to do??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Johnd76, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi folks,

Right I am getting nowhere on the IT jobs front, so wondering where i go from here? As I have no work experience I dont expect anyone to take a chance on me...so in the opinon of the people on here what is the best thing to do from here? :(

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Firstly mate, whatever you do - don't give up!

I was in the same boat as you 10 years ago, and had a number of knock backs to my job applications.

Each time I had rejection letter it only made me more determined to succeed, and I would simply up the number of job adverts I replied to.

Eventually I found a company that was looking for someone with knowledge, but not necessarily experience, and they decided to take a chance on me. At first the pay was low (lower than my previous job), but I stuck at it and they soon upped my pay.

What sort of places are you searching for jobs?

Cheers
    NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Make sure you are looking at jobs appropriate to your level. Applying for System Admin roles is likely to lead to disappointment. Typically, you are looking for Helpdesk, or 1st Line Support/Technician type roles.

Don't be put off by some experience requirements (quite a few jobs list certain experience as essential but is isnt really) - so long as it's not a high-level job it should be fine to still apply.

Make sure your CV is up to scratch. A bad CV can and will utterly kill your chance at the role.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. FSZ

FSZ Bit Poster

Don’t give up!! That’s the last thing you need to think of now, from your signature it shows you’ve put effort in and understand your chosen technology. Your certified MCP and MCDST!!

I suggest you keep that enthusiasm and add into that by doing volunteer work. I would pick up the yellow pages and start contacting local charities and offer my services free of charge. This would give you a foot in the door to possible side contracts and more importantly, would be employers would have an applicant who would not just be certified but come with reference from local well established organisation willing to vouch for you.

Giving up at this stage…is not a option. Plod along and aim height…look back at this in a year and be surprised!!

I really feel for you….15 years ago I was exactly were you are, worse thing was my training provider took my money and went bust!! I was on the dole,had no certs,no job, no money and worst owed the bank over 4K the training provider took prior to going bust!! Today I am senior project technician...I refused to give up. I hope you don’t.

You could be denying yourself an excellent rewarding career

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
    Certifications: Too many!!
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Where are you based mate? Plenty of 1st line call centre jobs in Scotland to get you started.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for replying lads, the jobs I am applying for are entry level jobs i.e Helpdesk...Iam based in the central belt in Scotland (between Edinburgh and Glasgow).

Your replys show me that everyone (I think) seems to be in the same boat at the start but there does seem to be some light at the end of the tunnel, so first things first...a revamp of my CV and continue to apply for jobs and see if i get a little break.

Really appreciate the replys :)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing