What to do?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jayton, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Jayton

Jayton New Member

I'm working on my MCSA at the moment, I thought I wanted to get into Cisco after that and then maybe do convert to MCITP... However, I've been doing a heck of a lot of VM stuff lately in VirtualBox and some HyperV and absolutely love it! but then looking at the jobs that are asking for the MCSA a lot want SQL... I've done a little MySQL programming going back 4 years when I wrote a CMS for my website (both now dead, thanks to critical hardware failure and the backup being FUBAR and no motivation to do it all again), which helps a little but not much when the jobs are asking for MSSQL.

But at the same time, a lot of jobs want a degree?! grrrr

So I'm at a bit of a cross roads and my options after I complete my MCSA are:

Cisco stuff
    VMWare stuff
    MSSQL stuff
    BSc from Open Uni ( studied with them many moons ago and completed 1 course which was part of a degree, Web Design, development and management - ran out of money when the next course started )
    or just stick with MCITP:SA/EA and build on top of that as new courses come out.

Any advice, opinions or trout slap would be gratefully received :biggrin

--
    Jay

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Jay, best advice is to certify in technologies that you work with. Its very hard for me to say but me personally I studied things that interested me and would get me where I wanted to be. I did my degree for myself, but it just so happens to be handy should I go decide to become a Team Leader or higher again. For me SQL is a no no, but you may love it. I am server support but I may do my CCNA with Commsupport to improve my networking knowledge and help me when I'm talking to BT.

It is entirely up to you mate, I could say do your MCSE next and you become a SQL DBA so that it was almost a waste of time.

Just look at what you do now and where you want to be to answer your question, good luck, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs