1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jayton, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Jayton

Jayton New Member

I'm working on my MCSA at the moment, I thought I wanted to get into Cisco after that and then maybe do convert to MCITP... However, I've been doing a heck of a lot of VM stuff lately in VirtualBox and some HyperV and absolutely love it! but then looking at the jobs that are asking for the MCSA a lot want SQL... I've done a little MySQL programming going back 4 years when I wrote a CMS for my website (both now dead, thanks to critical hardware failure and the backup being FUBAR and no motivation to do it all again), which helps a little but not much when the jobs are asking for MSSQL.

But at the same time, a lot of jobs want a degree?! grrrr

So I'm at a bit of a cross roads and my options after I complete my MCSA are:

Cisco stuff
    VMWare stuff
    MSSQL stuff
    BSc from Open Uni ( studied with them many moons ago and completed 1 course which was part of a degree, Web Design, development and management - ran out of money when the next course started )
    or just stick with MCITP:SA/EA and build on top of that as new courses come out.

Any advice, opinions or trout slap would be gratefully received :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. jk2447

jk2447 Petabyte Poster Moderator

Hi Jay, best advice is to certify in technologies that you work with. Its very hard for me to say but me personally I studied things that interested me and would get me where I wanted to be. I did my degree for myself, but it just so happens to be handy should I go decide to become a Team Leader or higher again. For me SQL is a no no, but you may love it. I am server support but I may do my CCNA with Commsupport to improve my networking knowledge and help me when I'm talking to BT.

It is entirely up to you mate, I could say do your MCSE next and you become a SQL DBA so that it was almost a waste of time.

Just look at what you do now and where you want to be to answer your question, good luck, Jim
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, VCP4, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VCP5, VCP6-NV