What to do after desktop support?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, May 14, 2009.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hey guys.

I have been thinking a lot of what about where I could go in my next job.

My current role involves a mix of 1st line (helpdesk over the phone) and 2nd line (desktop support) work with 18 months experience. I was thinking about a team leader role or something with management responsibility. Theres the obvious network admin role but i dont think I cud manage that as of yet... Theres also a lateral move of 2nd line stuff again perhaps with better money.

What do you guys think?

FatP

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I guess it depends on where you see yourself. I went up the route of 1st, 2nd & 3rd line, then became an IT manager (but still doing 1-3 support at the same time).

Whether you go down the route of team leader/helpdesk manager or move up to network/server support, you're going to be learning alot. Even though you'll still be having your hands in both pockets (eg with team leader/helpdesk manager the greater emphasis will be on management, whereas if you move on up your emphasis will be on technology).

IMO, I would say develop and move up the ranks/tiers, then move into management, that way you'll have more background knowledge to assist you. But that's just my opinion :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security