1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do after desktop support?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, May 14, 2009.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hey guys.

I have been thinking a lot of what about where I could go in my next job.

My current role involves a mix of 1st line (helpdesk over the phone) and 2nd line (desktop support) work with 18 months experience. I was thinking about a team leader role or something with management responsibility. Theres the obvious network admin role but i dont think I cud manage that as of yet... Theres also a lateral move of 2nd line stuff again perhaps with better money.

What do you guys think?

FatP

Certifications: Comp Sci BSc, NVQ 2 & 3 IT Professional
    WIP: Comptia A+, Network+
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

I guess it depends on where you see yourself. I went up the route of 1st, 2nd & 3rd line, then became an IT manager (but still doing 1-3 support at the same time).

Whether you go down the route of team leader/helpdesk manager or move up to network/server support, you're going to be learning alot. Even though you'll still be having your hands in both pockets (eg with team leader/helpdesk manager the greater emphasis will be on management, whereas if you move on up your emphasis will be on technology).

IMO, I would say develop and move up the ranks/tiers, then move into management, that way you'll have more background knowledge to assist you. But that's just my opinion :)

-ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip