What should I be working with???

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by CGooders, Mar 21, 2007.

1. CGooders

CGooders Bit Poster

Hi,

Just a quick question on what software I should be getting to know as I aspire to be a web designer one day. Currently I like using Notepad, as you get a more hands on experience with the code which had has helped me. However a lot of people like using Dreamweaver so I was wondering is it a good program to use and worth knowing? Also I am pretty handy with Macromedia Fireworks but I always hear people using Adobe software like Photoshop and Illustrator, just wondering if they are the most widley used programs and if I should start learning them?

Basically just wondering what is the best software to use and learn to help expand my knowledge.

Any comments, I would be grateful and if there is any other software that would be helpful please comment.

Regards

Certifications: Master CIW Designer
    WIP: Microsoft 70-305 & 70-306.
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO writing HTML in Notepad forces you to learn it properly, which I consider a 'good thing'!

You might want to investigate Crimson Editor from here. This is effectively Notepad on steroids, it has syntax highlighting and a number of other useful features. And it is free!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. aelonski

aelonski New Member

I use Crimson Editor as a replacement for notepad. I downloaded the trial version of Dreamweaver, once you lay out a page in the "Designer" area of the program and go back to look at the code, it's very ugly. If you're interested in it though I recommend having a look at the trial version.
    I have no aspirations of going into a design industry, so I'm happy making my pages in Crimson, but I guess a familiarity with the program can only help. It's certainly a "big bizz" program. And has a lot a features that aren't so obvious, and need time spent to use them properly.

WIP: A+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

My brother uses a Mac and says BBedit is also a good editor.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi

I have a software bundle(CD) with loads of software on it. Like Crimson Editor, there is a program called Notepad 2. It has similar feature to Crimson Editor, but allows you to type code such as HTML, XML, JavaScript, Perl and loads of other programming/scripting language.

It is vital that anyone who wishes to learn Markup languages, aren't confused by additional markup that is sometimes included in some of the GUI editors.
    If you learn the code first, then you can easily edit/enhance the results that Dreamweaver can give to any newbies.
    I also had ACEHTML Pro 6, which is very similar, and gives all the accurate syntax. If you have a element of property that is deprecated, it doesn't support it.

Sorry if this reply is too long.. check them out..

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  6. CGooders

CGooders Bit Poster

Thanks for all the advice so far, sounds like doing the code first hand is the best way to do it so I will keep using Notepad for the mean time. However I will learn more on Dreamweaver as it cant hurt to know more.

Cheers

Certifications: Master CIW Designer
    WIP: Microsoft 70-305 & 70-306.